1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

VW Jetta 2001 wheels on Prius 2010?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by CalgaryPrius, Jan 10, 2013.

1. CalgaryPrius

CalgaryPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Guys,

Just joined the forum and this is my first post so here goes.

We are looking for snow tires on our 2010 Prius. On Craigs list I see someone selling almost new snow tires mounted on 2001 VW Jetta OEM wheels. From my research it is the exact same tire (195/65/R15) and the bolt pattern is 5x100.

Is there any reason not to buy this, besides the obvious of having VW logos on the wheels of a Toyota?

Any help would be appreciated!

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 2001 Jetta OEM wheel is pretty close to the Prius wheel but has a slightly lower offset. If it is a 7" wheel and less than +38 offset then the wheel may poke out of the wheel well a little. The hub size is a tad bit larger at 57.1mm vs. 54mm. Maybe you can use a hub adapter ring?

3. CalgaryPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good to know F8L, where would one find such information? What I found online only pointed me to the bolt pattern and it seems they are identical. If it means I have to go the adapter router, its not worth the savings for me. Not to mention driving around in an identity crisis car...

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hub rings are available at most tire centers. They are cheap little plastic rings.

Looks like the wheel is a 15x6" so you should be fine. The stock offset on that Jetta wheel is +38mm so it will look ok on the Prius.

VW Audi stock OEM wheel picture gallery and database

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yep, hubcentric rings are (usually) plastic rings that center the wheel over your wheel hub, not the wheel spacers you are probably thinking of.

The VW logo is on the centercap, which can be removed. Then you can find some centercaps that fit, or paint over the VW logo.

See if you can find the weight of those wheels, as that will be the most significant factor, after the offset, as too heavy a wheel will impact your mpg.

F8L likes this.
  6. CalgaryPrius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was thinking to just go with a steel wheel. Will the extra weight really impact that much as far as MPG? I mean with the heater on, traction control and abs, does the extra weight of the wheel really make an observable impact?

Thanks for the replies you guys

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes but it's not likely to be very large unless the steel wheels are a ton heavier than your OE wheels. If they are over 24lbs each I would steer clear of them.

8. Clare

Clare New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Whoo hoo! This is good news. I have a 2010 and looking for winter tire wheels as well. Yesterday I went to see some Jetta wheels (15X6, 5X100 bolt pattern, offset is about 1/4 inch LESS than my prius stock wheels), but did not buy them due to the small offset difference. If the Jetta wheels work, they are $25 each compared to the "real deal wheels" at $125 each from the salvage yard. Heck, if I end up with these wheels, I'm leaving on that nice VW logo - although that logo is glued on there and would easily peel off. ;)

PS the Jetta wheels are pretty light, picking them up I'd guess 15#??

Calgary Prius, please post an update with your results - are you gonna try out these wheels. If they work for you, I'll go ahead and do it myself without the "test" I was planning.

9. .paul.

.paul. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    this thread is useless without pics :)

10. Clare

Clare New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Does anyone want pictures of these jetta wheels? I have not bought them yet; but when/if I do. I will post, with the quick offset shown.

11. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    And $'s. If a good deal, maybe worth trying, But:

OP: how much are these VW rims and tires? Might be a good deal, depending on cost. But it's an unknown. FWIW: you should be able to buy new Corolla steel rims from dealership, 100% compatible, for around $70 each.