1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

VW Jetta GL TDI vs. Toyota Prius in new Popular Mechanics

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by paprius4030, Jan 5, 2005.

1. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just got my new Popular Mechanics magazine in the mail and they have a few short tests comparing comprable size cars of diesel vs. hybrid technology. One test was the Vw Jetta GL TDI vs. a Silver(like mine) Prius. While they didn't knock either car they seem to get caught up with the new technology of the Prius. The Bottom Line comment they had was"There's a reason these cars are so desirable, and it's not just the hype. The Prius is that good." Although short it was an interesting test. The Prius was neck and neck with the VW in acceleration, braking, slalom and a little better, of course in mpg, but VW was alot cheaper. They also tested the Accord vs. the Mercedes E320 CDI I didn't realize the Accord is 30 grand???? They also tested the Liberty Sport vs. the Ford Escape. Seemed like they didn't think much of the Escape.

2. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Was this a diesel VW Jetta, or the regular version?

Thanks for the pointer!

3. paprius4030

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Diesel VW Jetta

4. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Size wise wouldn't Passat be a better comparison?

5. paprius4030

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure if the Passat comes in a diesel? Does it? They were more concerned with comparing diesel's vs. hybrids

6. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Looking forward to a web link. The folks at VWVortex are going to go mad, especially RogueTDI.

7. paprius4030

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just checked their website and there's nothing there about the prius, guess they want you to buy the Magazine LOL

8. snarfo

snarfo New Member

Re: VW Jetta GL TDI vs. Toyota Prius in new Popular Mechanic

Not to be a Toyota booster (riiiiight), but let's not forget the more long-term value. In the last Consumer Reports roundup of the 32 most reliable cars, 16 were Toyotas. Honda came in second with 7. And who was at the bottom? A bunch of domestics as usual--- and Mercedes and VW among other German makers. The CEO of VW even admitted they need to work on reliability.

...and the CEO of Chrysler/Mercedes said they hoped to get the domestic line to match Toyota quality in a couple years. :lol: Of course they've been saying that for years...

9. paprius4030

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After searching their website.. www.popularmechanics.com I found a test drive report for the prius(must be when it first came out) and they also mentioned Toyota quality as a reason to buy a Prius. In the owner survey it said they were impressed that Toyota was able to make such a complicated car so realible "right out of the box"

10. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Let's not forget emissions!

11. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Yup -- I think that's the main reason I didn't consider a diesel.

My friend has an '04 diesel VW Golf; he uses bio-diesel (Dr. Dan's Special Blend), and gets very good gas mileage around town -- around 42-46 MPG.

However, while not experiencing the fumes of the diesels of old, even these modern engines are pretty high-emission for particulates. (I've been told that in Europe, "cleaner" diesel fuel is available, and this will make a considerable difference.)

[My other reason for not considering the Golf was VW's extremely poor reliability/maintenance reputation.]

12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

Biodiesel cannot be used at any ratio higher than 20% without special additives, to prevent it from turning to a gel in the cold. That obviously adds to the extremely expensive price (over $3 per gallon).

Also, notice how transmission always seems to be overlooked. The automatic simply can compete with Prius for MPG, it is pretty much always the manual they used to compete with... which is totally unappealing for 90% of the population in the United States, since they prefer not having to shift.

13. paprius4030

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    john ur so right about the transmission factor. Also since the price of diesel is so much more than gas, which is REALLY a ripoff! I pity the truck drivers who have to pay so much but i guess actually it's all of us in the end that pays LOL

14. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

VW isn't that great anymore, I uses to buy or lease but last GTi which I was leased turn out to be POS/POJ. VW is totally luck of quality control and specially Brazil and Mexico build VW is totally POS. Only better VW come from home land in Germany. TDI technology is great, and European love diesel. Recently I think Ford introduced the concept for Diesel Hybrid
    To owning Prius is better value then VW thats I would think.

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I notice they rarely compare apples with apples. They always choose the manual transmission to compare MPG figures but I'm thinking, most TDIs sold are automatics and the Prius' tranmission is considered an automatic. There is a Passat TDI (and Golf and Touraeg) but most of the TDIs that VW sells are the Jettas. The engine (with the exception of the Touraeg) is more suitable to the Jetta's lighter weight compared to the Passat

16. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

By the way, biodiesel actually *INCREASES* smog-related emissions. Did you know that?

This document... http://www.epa.gov/otaq/models/analysis/bi...odsl/p02001.pdf ...proves it.

In the executive summary (on page 4), it very clearly shows an increase in NOx emissions as a higher ratio of biodiesel is used in blended diesel fuel. At 100% biodiesel, the emission increase reaches 10%.

Diesel supporters don't want you to know that.

17. paprius4030

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just looked at the test report again and sure enough the VW they were comparing to the Prius had a 5 spd. manual

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius weighs 1310kg (2890lb) as opposed to 1347kg (2970lb) for the manual Jetta TDI & 1393kg (3071lb) for the auto. (oddly, the US VW site shows a heavier weight)

The Passat weighs in at 1552kg but has a more powerful TDI engine 134hp @ 4000rpm vs. 100hp @ 4000rpm on the Jetta and more torque - 247lb-ft @1900rpm vs. 177lb-ft @ 1800-2400rpm. Despite more torque, it takes 10.2 secs to reach 62mph with a 5-spd auto. No official numbers for the Jetta.

Note the Jetta is smaller at 85 cu. ft. of pass. volume as opposed to 96cu. ft. for the current Prius. Also, with the new Jetta/Passat models coming out, diesel versions of these won't be available for a while.

19. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

One thing to remember about Bio Diesel is that is smells good. When I get behind one of our Bio Diesel busses I get the urge to pull in to Mickey D's and get french fries.

20. scott

scott New Member

Ford didn't create diesel hybrids first. Your basic Diesel-Electric Locomotive Engine is essentially a diesel-electric hybrid. Kinda like generation 1 prius hybrid.