1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

VW Passat/I NEED advice

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by tadzue, Aug 21, 2004.

1. tadzue

tadzue New Member

I have a Passat '99 and the dealer keeps pushing me to get the timing belt changed. The manual says 105,000. I called VW direct and they said they stick with the owner's manual but the dealer keeps pushing. I had the 80,000 checkup done at 78,000 and told them specifically I just wanted those things in the book done which includes checking the timing belt but not replacement. They went ahead with the timing belt and called my son to tell him the whopping bill ( I was out of town and he called me in a panic). I made them put it back together and refused the "extra service." They were REALLY UGLY about it.
    My question is 'If the timing belt does falter, does VW have to pay for a new engine/repairs?" Why should I pay early for the belt if VW says it is 105,000?
    Is this a scam?
    It worries me because the same owner (dealership) sold me my Prius.

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I would call the car guys on NPR 1-888-Car-Talk. I believe they recommend a 60K replacement for cars that have a timing belt that would damage the valves if it breaks. What is the down side if it breaks. Do you want to drive this car into the ground. Turning the engine into junk and then fighting VW does not sound fun. I have VW because I was treated badly over a problem with a diesel that literally blew up at 60k. I got nothing for it and no support from the dealer, VW or anyone. Do some homework and make the most informed decision you can. If you can't get through to NPR or don't want to then there must be local VW experts. Talk to several.

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Why post this to a Prius chat group? try Yahoo and the Passat fourm.

4. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Translation - replace the belt at 105,000. At the lesser intervals check it and replace it if there is wear that leaves doubt that it will last to the next check or replace interval.

On a number of engines the valve travel overlaps the piston stroke. A broken timing belt will result in an instantly destroyed engine. Is it worth the risk?

5. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Volkswagens have had a habit of snapping those belts, especially in the TDI models. Frankly, the dealer did you a favor. However, they should have followed your directions, and called you if the belt looked suspect for permission to replace it.

6. hiram6

hiram6 New Member

If it's a non-interference motor, I would go with the VWs 105K recommendation. If it's an interference motor I would be a little quicker to change it out early.

I'm not sure that I would EVER agree that a dealership proceeding with an unauthorized repair is a favor to anyone!! :cussing:

As suggested earlier, go to a VW forum to learn more about your specific engine and what others experiences have been. Your post doesn't mention which engine you have, but www.vwvortex.com is one of the best automotive forums on the web, with specific forums dedicated to the Passat B5 (which your '99 is) and forums dedicated to specific engines.

Good luck, don't beleive all the bad karma you sometimes hear about VWs, we have 93 Passat with 191K on it, and the only major repair we've had to pay for is $900 for an AC compressor. GA summers are tough on AC, so we've had to do a new compressor 3 times!! :oops:

7. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For VW Timing Belt,
    I uses to own 98 Passat V6 I changed mine around 60k,
    If you own 1.8T your pushing luck, I wont keep original belt more than 50k. 4cylinder VW belt will broke easy than V6

8. Bossman

Bossman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hiram6\";p=\"41212)</div>
    No bad karma ... 3! compressors in 10 years.
    What a well made machine.
    I had a 2001 VW Beetle with the TDI engine. I ONLY had electrical problems 5 headlights, windows worked some times, sun roof opened some times.

Sure it was a GREAT car. hahahaha