1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

W-Five Reports: Vancouver Used Car Dealers

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Tideland Prius, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's early morning in Vancouver and George Iny, of the Automobile Protection Association, is laying out his tools. His goal? To look under the hoods of used car dealers in Vancouver. His inspection starts with a strong cup of coffee and a look at classified ads published in the AutoTrader and AutoMart magazines.

George and his secret shoppers are back to kick some tires in this city that traditionally scores lowest in the APA's surveys. Last year, of the 20 dealers surveyed in the greater Vancouver area, only six passed -- a 70 per cent failure rate.

And so, over the next 12 days, the APA's special team will see if anything has changed.

With forensic-like detail they pour over car ads and then head out to the used car lots. But these are no ordinary used car buyers. This APA troop brings along an expert mechanic -- his identity is kept hidden -- a guy who can spot the clues that reveal a car's secret history. They're off to check out bargains that might just be too good to be true.

Full Article and Video

2. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I remember seeing this report last year when it aired, and I was a little surprised that no action had been taken against the fraud these dealers are pulling on people.

Makes me happier than ever that I bought a new car...

Maybe they should just have some govt. inspectors go undercover to dealerships and do a little investigating. A single incident like was mentioned here and they should be shut-down for a month, and a second incident within a year = business closed and all cars siezed.

There's simply no excuse - and if you're buying a used car, PAY FOR A REPORT using the VIN!

Dave

3. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know why they're still around. I mean, it's bad enough that the cars are used and probably not in the best of shape but I never expected it to be this bad.

4. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

and this surprises you?? come on now it's the same everywhere in the world. Buyer beware, and PT Barnhams old saying, there's one born every minute.

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep. Never expected stuff like welded cars. I mean, I expected rolled odos and unclaimed or unmentioned accidents.