1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wa State non-dealership work?

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by pachterman, Apr 8, 2006.

1. pachterman

pachterman New Member

Hi -- I'm new to participating in PriusChat, although I've lurked for awhile. After perusing the list, I'm wondering if anyone has found non-dealership mechanic working on hybrids? Have any of the Toyota-trained people defected and opened their own shops?

I go to Toyotya of Lake City and while they are OK, I'd prefer to get off of the dealership treadmill.

thanks.

MEAPHOTOG

2. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(meaphotog @ Apr 8 2006, 01:55 PM) [snapback]236901[/snapback]</div>
    Anyone can do basic maintenance on the Prius. Oil changes and such are very normal. I suppose replacing brake pads wouldn't be an issue. However anything that is more complicated than changing the oil or doing a normal brake job is going to require the dealer. The dealer has the Toyota Hand Held Tester which is a really expensive device that is able to fully interface with the Prius and manipulate nearly every aspect of the electronic control of the vehicle. That one device is the limiting factor that prevents independent shops from being able to fully service the vehicle.

The gad news is that you are on the dealer treadmill with this car, but only for major service needs.

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(meaphotog @ Apr 8 2006, 01:55 PM) [snapback]236901[/snapback]</div>
    I do not know Seattle any longer. Try Personal Messaging IFixem. Mike works in Olympia and is an honest person. I have gotten my oil changes at my local Auto Technician "Bryan's Automotive" as well and he does a good job. Anything involving the ECU's (computers) diagnostics and generally connection to the car via the OBDII/CAN Bus requires the THHS (Toyota Hand Held Scanner) it will at this time only be found at a dealership. I have read on the net that outside mechanics have applied for Prius training and been denied. I am guessing that Toyota is, at this point, still trying to gets their Technicians up to speed all over the US and they have little or no room for good, well trained, outsiders. My local independent Auto Technician is trying as he sees the hybrid as part of his future, but so far he can not get any more information than you or I. I have given him the repair manuals and he has looked at them, but he needs both the scanner and the software to begin. It will come. I still believe that the hybrid is the bridge to the future. Baby steps. Hard to wait, but Waiting IS...

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    mike is very knowledgeable guy and plus he is also willing to do after market mods for you as well.