1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wait and see; hope there's no more warning lights going off

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by 131, Aug 5, 2015.

1. 131

131 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    So far, so good. Went to dealership today for oil change, they said they didn't see any leaks, didn't see anything wrong, etc. The warning lights haven't went back on since yesterday morning. I'll keep watching, I hope they don't activate again.
    By the way, for everyone who had a 2003 Prius, how many miles did you get with your main battery? The dealership said they usually go after 100,000 miles and cost $5,000 to replace.
    At 130,000 they also recommend an engine cabin filter and fuel injection cleaning.
    Seems like an automotive store would be cheaper for the cabin filter?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds about right. but i like the charcoal filter, keeps the cabin smelling fresh.

3. geekwithoutacause

geekwithoutacause Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd look for another dealer. They do NOT usually go after 100K. More closer to 200K.
    I have a friend who sells used prius for a living. He says around 180k they replace the battery.
    Any batteries that fail before that had some sort of issues that killed the battery early (not driving it, cooling blocked,etc)

4. Linda L

Linda L Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    That dealership price estimate is way too high. I had my hybrid battery replaced at the dealership in late 2013 (at 160K--my fault, I let the car sit way too long with a dead 12V battery and ended up with a bad hybrid battery.). My bill (I did argue the price of the battery itself down when I found out dealer was trying to sell me battery over Toyota's MSRP) was a bit over $3K. And my dealership, at the time, told me that my car was only the second hybrid battery replacement they had done. And you can get a rebuilt battery under $2K.

Brian in Tucson likes this.