1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wait time for 1st wash and wax?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Rangerdavid, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    With a new car, right off the truck carrier, how long should you wait to wax it? I've heard that you shouldn't wax a new car for up to 6 months........ with all kinds of rational like "the paint needs time to cure" , etc. So I guess this question is mainly about waxing, since I don't think soap and water will hurt.

Is there any truth to any of this? I'd hate to ruin my paint job by waxing too soon, but how long should you wait? Any help will be appreciated, thanks........ :rolleyes:

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wax it now, before it gets dirty! Wait until it cools down, maybe. The paint is baked and has a clearcoat, so whatever curing it needs has already happened. Soap can hurt, actually, if you use the wrong kind. The commonly used dish soap will strip the wax right off, so look for a premium 'automotive shampoo' instead.

3. AndyMartin826

AndyMartin826 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Picked up mine last Thursday night, and got caught in one of our patented monsoon / dust storms here in Arizona on Saturday. Holy cow, mix dirt and rain and you get mud, looked like I had gone four-wheelin. Rained again Sunday, so I got to give my Prius its first loving wash after work yesterday. Meguire's is your friend :p

4. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Ditto what others have said, the paint is hard cured from the factory and you can wax it now. In fact, they waxed it at the dealer before you took delivery of it.

5. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Use to use Meguiars...just tried Nu Finish. What a difference! Went on easily...and did not have to have the car surface cool like with was. Also did not leave as much residue to find later.

Would highly recommend!

6. AndyMartin826

AndyMartin826 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Jul 18 2006, 09:24 PM) [snapback]288540[/snapback]</div>
    I used to use Nu Finish on my Celica yearrrrrrrrrs ago, it did work great, and I'll probably use it again for the Prius. Just did the wash yesterday, figured I didn't need to wax it anytime soon. That, and it's 115 degrees out here, not exactly "take-your-time" waxing weather, you know. I just wanted to get the mud off and get back inside to my AC and cold beer.

7. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AZTriGuy @ Jul 18 2006, 09:30 PM) [snapback]288543[/snapback]</div>
    I know, the heat is killing us here too! Stupid me in the garage last night polishing the wife's truck! I think I lost 10 pounds in water weight! You are right about that "not taking your time" weather...save a beer for me!

8. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    thanks all..... so Mcquires or Nufinish are good products, huh?? thanks again...... :D

9. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I wouldn't use NuFinish personally, its loaded with cleaners and abrasives. Its a very old wax.

If you want a good, easy to use, one step product and don't want to get into really detailing I'd reccomend something like Meguiars NXT or Eagle One's Nanowax.