1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wait Time?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by exces6, Aug 25, 2004.

1. exces6

exces6 New Member

How long have you had to wait after ordering your Prius to receive it? The lease people who might order one for me say I could get it around December 2005. From what I've read here it's been around 6-8 months. Please post how long you waited here and comment on my situation if you want to.

Thanks in advance.

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A co-worker ordered one in May, and his dealer is guessing November delivery.

3. bookrats

bookrats New Member

4. Brenna

Brenna Junior Member

I put my name on the list at Fresno Toyota -- based on a recommendation off this web site -- May 19th.

Was quoted 3 - 4 months (so Aug 19 - Sept 19).

They offered me a BC silver after 7 weeks on the list. I want green, red or blue. I declined.

Since then, I have been offered 1 tan, 2 silvers. I am trying to stick to my color guns.

Dealer (who is great) thinks that I'm within a month.

Good Luck

5. exces6

exces6 New Member

Well, after talking in more detail about it, I realized I heard the person wrong. They say that there is a separate list for 2005 Prius's and that list doesn't open up until the end of September/ Early October. What I heard on the phone was December 2005, when the actual date was December 2004. I think that is great because I won't have to wait long for my Prius!

Now I just have to decide what color to get.

6. fdny37

fdny37 New Member

I guess the wait time varies across the country, went down to Toyota dealer in early July and they didn't even have one to look at, plus they wanted me to give them a $1,000 deposit and say that I would definitley buy the car. I said no thanks and two weeks later wouldn't you know they called me up to tell me they had a #9 Driftwood, so I went down and bought it. I guess what I'm trying to say is if you really want one then the dealer has you by the short hairs, but, if you want what you want then you have to wait.

7. Porky Pine

Porky Pine New Member

Brenna, is the color really that important to you? I'm at the point now where if the dealer called up and told me that they had a "Pepto-Bismo Pink" available, I'd snatch it!

8. Brenna

Brenna Junior Member

Hmmm.....Is the color really that important to me?

I guess it is.

I feel that I could get to the point that any color would be okay but after 7 weeks I still had some wait in me (current car works fine).

I wish I could take what was available and still keep my spot on the list -- I'd give the extra to you. It seems like you have had a harder time of it.

I do 2nd guess the decision. What if I wait 2 years for my color to come up? and I assume that within a few months I will be at the "take whatever" point.

But not quite yet.....

Brenna

9. DanH

DanH New Member

Right now I am looking at an 18 month wait if I stay with the local dealer. They told me I'm number 62, they get 3/month and in May the production was to go up 50%. So between these is where they came up with the estimate.

I too would probably hold out some for the right color/package. After seeing pictures of the blue and red cars here, I really like them even more, especially the blue.

My hope with this long wait is the hype should be dying down soon and it should shorten a little.

10. DaddyLongLegs

DaddyLongLegs Junior Member

Wait Times

My experience and wait times with Miller Toyota in Manassas VA was pretty good. Approximately 3.5 months after $250 deposit. Didn't care about color too much (Driftwood/#9) except anything but black. Paid MSRP. Miller is the #2 dealer of Prius' in the nation and get's significant allotments. This is because here in the Washington metro area traffic is horrible and hybrid's are permitted on the Virginia HOV lanes without additional occupants, so the demand is great. Anyway, Miller Toyota is at 1-800-619-8695 and ask for Mike Brady.

BTW, my neighbor bought a Honda hybrid after waiting all of two days for the specific color.

11. DanH

DanH New Member

Thanks much!

I'll keep them in mind. If I have a better shot at getting an AM package, I wouldn't even mind waiting up to a year or so.

BTW, did you see the article linked from the news section about the Prius hype? In that, they mentioned that one could get the Honda in a short time. I find myself agreeing with the article though. The Prius is cooler and has more 'geek appeal'. The Honda looks like just any other Civic. And of course, the Prius is just a better done hybrid. :mrgreen:

12. exces6

exces6 New Member

Prius=Love

13. pjo1966

pjo1966 New Member

fdny37... which dealer was this in Vegas? Did you pay MSRP or more?