1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Waiting list or pay an extra $150 for "2-3 weeks"?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by boojum, Feb 9, 2006.

1. boojum

boojum New Member

Should I pay a dealer $150 extra for a specific Prius that should arrive in 2-3 weeks, or get on a 3-5 months waiting list with other dealers?

After months of thinking about Priuses and deciding to go for it (with option package #4), I had a marathon day today of interacting with local Seattle-area dealers.

I've had several dealers willing to sell for MSRP+trans fee+floormats. I paid them each a $500 refundable deposit to get on their 3-5 month waiting lists:

21725 MSRP
    1825 #4 package
    580 transportation fee
    186 floormats
    ---------------------------
    24316 TOTAL

I've had another dealership offer me the following for a specific Prius (with VIN) that should arrive in 2-3 weeks, but I have not signed up with them ($1000 nonrefundable deposit):

21725 MSRP
    1825 #4 package
    580 transportation fee
    329 mandatory extras
    ---------------------------
    24459 TOTAL

This dealership is trying to sway me by pointing out that the number of slots available for the 2006 hybrid tax credit may run out soon. Is this valid?

What do you think? Should I swallow my pride and just plunk down the extra $150 for the "sooner" Prius?

-- B

2. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

The full tax credit should be available at least through the 2nd Quarter of 2006....

As far as the dealers.... The $150 wouldn't bother me as much.. (You'd probably save that much in gas by the time the other cars come in..). What does bother me is the notion of a $1000 non-refundable deposit... I wonder if that's even legal?? The $150 sounds a bit sleazy in the end. I guess it depends on if you can find one in a radius from your home that you feel comfortable in traveling....

3. boojum

boojum New Member

Yes, thanks! I also just read in the FAQ about the tax credit. The dealer is either confused or trying to mislead me by scaring me into thinking I could lose my tax credit in the near future.

I'll ponder the $150 extra cost and $1000 deposit over the next few days.

4. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    I ran into the same problem with a dealer very close by who wouldn't back off on $379 worth of stuff. What are the mandatory extras this ("your") car has? I actually didn't object to one of the extras, the rear bumper applique ($65). But the cargo net, locking wheel lugs and, worst of all, a useless alarm system I wouldn't swallow. So I went 180 mi farther down the road and got the same car, minus extras, for $300 below MSRP.

As for the credit, he's bluffing.

5. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Use a charge card for the deposit. My dealer would except a CC up to $5000. in payment also. I bet it will be easier to get your nonrefundable deposit back that way.

See if you can trade some of the unwanted items for something you would rather have. They might do it especially if they total a little more.

$150. is only $37.50 a month spread over 4 months.

6. cellsorter

cellsorter New Member

I just went through the Prius buying process in Seattle, i took delivery of my silver #5 last night, it had 2 miles on it, i think one came from the salesman filling it up. Ill explain my experiences.

Almost all of the king snohomish dealers are adding a $1500 to 4000 (edmunds toyota) AMV to the price. They dont mention it at all until your sold on the car, then when they have you they spring it, they had a take it or leave it attitude

I ended up going to olyimpia. Out of the seattle metro, i got mine at 500 below MSRP, with the fancy mats, best of all no games.

most of the seattle metro dealers were telling me that the cars were numbered and they were quickly selling. There story was plausible sounding and i can see how uninformed people could fall for it hook line and sinker.

They did try to sell me the 7/100k warranty for 2250, i told them i would pay 1000, he said no way, then pulled his book out a few times and then offered 1600, i repeated 1000. He stoped when he realized i was educated i think. I got it for 1000 in the end.

Get educated, know the costs going in and drive a hard bargain.

I got 47 MPG on the way home driving 70 on the freeway over 72 miles, gas guage has not moved.