1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wal - Mart Horror Stories

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hycamguy07, Dec 20, 2006.

1. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I was listening to a friend the other day who stated he took his car (non-prius) to wal-mart and had the oil changed, while he did some x-mass shopping. After he left the store, he got 5 or so miles down the road when the oil filter fell off. The oil light came on, and he shut down the car and coasted to a stop. He called Wal-mart reference the dammages and asked that they tow the car back to the service center and fix the problem... The Mgr. advised him they are not responcible for any damages to his car and for him to read the fine print where he signed on his paperwork... He said he read it and noted they are not responcible for any damages to the vehicle do to work or otherwise.

He said his next step was to visit an attorney.

Anyone else have a Wal-Mart horror story?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've heard similar stories about Jiffy Lube...I suspect every large company that does service work has had a similar issue at one time or another...Pep Boys, Jiffy Lube, Midas, Wal-mart, etc...

I used to routinely get my maintanence at WM and never had a problem, but certainly you have to wonder about the training and experience of those who work there.

Can't believe, however, that WM would try for a minute to fight this where there's clear negligence...disclaimer or not on the paperwork.

Oh, nice signature.

3. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Dec 20 2006, 11:30 AM) [snapback]364611[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah the signature Was fitting for Mods that do not take any crap (I thought), 'however one one was injured during the filming..

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This kind of thing can, and does, happen at any lube/oil change place including your local friendly Toyota dealer. The same kid that changes your oil and filter at Wal-Mart might be working at Toyota or Jiffy Lube or McDonald's next week.

5. jared2

jared2 New Member

The worst horror would be having to work at Wal-Mart.

6. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tumbleweed @ Dec 20 2006, 11:40 AM) [snapback]364621[/snapback]</div>
    In other words, no matter where he goes he'll be working with grease?

7. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Dec 20 2006, 10:14 AM) [snapback]364659[/snapback]</div>
    The second worst would have to be that you shop at WM in the first place. We have a vibrant independent-owned small business community because we support them first, knowing full well that to allow WM into our community would be tantamount to death of the mom and pop stores which SERVE our community well. We as a community realize the value of small businesses and shop at out locally owned stores.

8. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Dec 20 2006, 09:14 AM) [snapback]364659[/snapback]</div>
    The horror IS Wal-Mart.

9. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Dec 20 2006, 01:53 PM) [snapback]364711[/snapback]</div>

I know what you're saying. I should hate big box stores. But I have to admit that walking into Home Depot is quite a pleasure - all those tools and machines, the smell of oil and wood, everything in a warehouse big enough to build a 747-8. It's like a fun house. Now clothes shopping - that is, indeed, hell.

10. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No experiences to share as I won't shop there.

11. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Dec 20 2006, 12:14 PM) [snapback]364659[/snapback]</div>
    I guess they must be chaining their 1.3 or 1.4 or 1.5 MILLION employees to their stations 24/7? And the last time a WalMart opened near us they had greater than 50 applications per job offer.

I think you should speak for yourself.

12. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I do not shop at Walmart. Period. Walmart is bad for the people who manufacture the crap they sell; it's bad for the people who work there; and it's bad for the community. It does provide its customers with lower prices, but by undermining community values and local wage structures, even the people who shop there suffer. I thought it was very appropriate, when I read on another thread on P.C., that people actually poop under the racks of clothing. In her book, Nickle and Dimed: on (Not) Getting By in America, Barbara Ehrenreich talks about the customers taking clothing off the rack and leaving it on the floor. All the time. Walmart is more than just a store. It is a culture of disrespect. The managers disrespect the employees and the factory workers. The customers disrespect the store and the employees. It's the greatest monument to greed and human misery on the American commercial landscape today.

13. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Dec 20 2006, 03:16 PM) [snapback]364756[/snapback]</div>
    I would argue that it is the greatest monument to capitalism in the entire WORLD today.

14. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Dec 20 2006, 03:16 PM) [snapback]364756[/snapback]</div>
    You have a unique view. Too bad millions of people spending almost a billion dollars a day there. They must be doing something right - they are not forcing their employees or their customers into their stores every day are they?

15. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :rolleyes: I've never had a problem with Wall Mart. I did have a son-in-law work for his local Wall Mart for 2 years. He was treated well, had access to good health insurance and a little discount on Wall Mart's already low prices. For those upset at WM's using overseas manufacturers, check your other retail outlets. We have exported the majority of our manufacturing to countries like China and India. I note that my Polo knit shirts are manufactured in places like Mexico, the Mariana Islands, etc, etc. We shop at Wall Mart, Sam's and the Wall Mart Supermarket locally and are pleased with the quality of merchandise and prices.

Many people in this forum drive Prius - made in Japan. In part due to UNIONS, we have more and more become a nation of consumers.

16. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Dec 20 2006, 02:22 PM) [snapback]364759[/snapback]</div>
    I agree. Certainly I'm not saying that Wal-mart is all that is good about capitalism, it also represents what can be bad about capitalism...but to crap on Wal-mart is to crap on capitalism itself.

17. jared2

jared2 New Member

"to crap on Wal-mart is to crap on capitalism itself"

And that, of course, is unthinkable.

18. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Dec 20 2006, 02:56 PM) [snapback]364780[/snapback]</div>
    Not unthinkable at all....un-American maybe, but certainly not unthinkable.

19. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  20. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't shop at Wal Mart, I had a friend whose son worked there, and the stories I heard were enough to convince me that I didn't want to give them any of my money if I can help it. People working off the clock, swapped time cards to avoid overtime etc. etc.