1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wal-Mart to cap salaries of notoriously overpaid workers

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by jared2, Oct 2, 2006.

1. jared2

jared2 New Member

2. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  3. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("New York Times")</div>
    Wow!? They pay someone in the middle of Oklahoma $11 an hour to stand at the front door, say hi to customers, make sure no one walks out without paying, and direct people to the return desk? I thought Wal-Mart paid crappy wages.

4. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Oct 2 2006, 01:15 PM) [snapback]326930[/snapback]</div>
    Keep in mind she's been there for 20 years. She's probably gotten more than a few raises in that time.

5. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

In the confidential memo sent to Wal-Mart’s board last year, M. Susan Chambers, who was recently promoted to be Wal-Mart’s executive vice president in charge of human resources, questioned whether it was cost-efficient to employ longtime workers.

I wonder how $$$ much she makes. My dog could have figured that out. I bet if you eliminated her job you could likely pay hundreds of part-timers.

Wait a minute. Eliminate half the executives, and give the rest a 50% pay cut, and you'd likely save a whole pile of cash!

But no, make life tougher for the people who are already struggling. I hate Wal-Mart.

6. jared2

jared2 New Member

"When I saw the headline, I assumed that this had to be something from the Onion."

Exactly what I thought when I read the official 9/11 commission report.

7. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Ok, I hate walmart as much as the next walmart hata, but hey, it is RETAIL. I'd say 98% of the jobs at the local wally world are repetitious jobs requiring little skill. What, does the person who stocks the DVD shelves really expect to make 50K a year by the time he/she is of retirement age? I mean c'mon...

What was especially egregious, IMO of course, was the one dude who said something like, "Yeah, they're basically telling us if you don't like it, there's the door..." NO SHXXXXT SHERLOCK, welcome to the real world... Yeah, I don't get a limo to and from work, guess it's their way or no way... :lol:

8. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Well, it serves those phuckers right. Every time I go into Wal-Mart, there they are, lording their high salaries over me. I'm so glad someone is finally putting them in their place!

Nobody should be earning double-digit hourly wages these days. That's just ridiculous!

Nate

9. jared2

jared2 New Member

Very true! I'm fed up with these overpaid Wal mart clerks parking their Lexus's and BMWs right by the front door and treating customers like me, poor slobs hoping to save 50 cents on paper towels, like sans culottes! Pretty soon they will demand valet parking! Give these people an inch, and ----

10. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Oct 2 2006, 01:20 PM) [snapback]326936[/snapback]</div>
    So, does 20 years of experience make one a better Wal-Mart Greeter? So much so that that such a person is worth almost twice the pay of an entry-level Wal-Mart Greeter? If she had been working there 40 years, would she be getting $22 an hour to be a Greeter?

I think that is the point of what Wal-Mart has done with the caps. After a certain amount of experience, more experience doesn't make you a better Greeter, Cashier, or whatever, so why should someone get paid more and more every year, just because they've stood at the door and said "Hi There" for another year? Cost of living / inflation increases, sure, but those reflected in changes to the caps. So, with a cap, a Greeter that's been there 20 years doesn't get paid anymore than say a Greeter whose been there 5 years, because the extra 15 years doesn't make them worth more as a Greeter.

Believe it or not, even well paid professionals, such as Software Engineers, have salary caps. When I worked at Intel, I was a Level 7 Software Engineer. Each level has a salaray range, and the size of each year's raise is larger when you are near the bottom of the salary range and gets smaller and smaller as you get near the top of the salary range, until it's capped. The only way to get more salary at that point, is to be promoted to the next level, where you are expected to take on more responsibility. In my case, going to Level 8 would have required taking on more management like responsibilities.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("New York Times")</div>
    Just like my job at Intel. If I had reached the salary cap for a Level 7 Software Engineer, I would not get a raise unless I moved to a higher catagory, taking on more responsibility.

11. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Oct 2 2006, 04:16 PM) [snapback]327082[/snapback]</div>
    It is one thing to cap an $80,000 salary; quite another to cap a $23,000 salary.

12. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ Oct 2 2006, 02:42 PM) [snapback]326986[/snapback]</div>
    HAHAHAHAHA! Thats great.