1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wal-Mart to reduce mercury in CFLs

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by hb06, May 10, 2007.

1. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "Wal-Mart announced Thursday that its suppliers of compact fluorescent light bulbs have agreed to dramatically reduce the amount of mercury in the energy-saving bulbs."

A CFL bulb can save up to $30 in electric costs over its lifetime, prevent more than 110 pounds of coal from being burned, and reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 450 pounds, Wal-Mart noted."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17831334/

2. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I don't care what Walmart does. I don't buy a damn thing from them or Sam's club.

I hate everything they stand for.

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I really like the direction WalMart is taking environmentally but I sure hope Amory and Hunter Lovins can get them to change their social and human resource practices.

"Greener WalMarts don't do it for me. Greener buildings in which we do browner things doesn't do it for me" ~ David W. Orr

4. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I applaud Wall-Mart for taking their CFL environmental stand . . . and then taking it one step further. It's still not enough to make me spend my first dollar in one of their stores . . . but you won't hear me take what is positive news and use it as a vehicle to bad mouth them.

I've got to wonder why the rampant hate and discontent being thrown at people and companies even if they do SOMETHING . . . ANYTHING . . . good.

Even if President Bush came out with an executive order requiring fuel economy standards to be doubled on all new vehicles in five years, we would still get those who would respond with, "yeah, but the environmental damage he has caused with the war in Iraq has . . ." :rolleyes:

Me personally, I wonder about the commitment to the environment of Prius drivers who add unnecessary and environmentally damaging chemicals to their cars so they can have shiny wheels and tires. What's the point of having a comparatively environmentally friendly vehicle if you are going to unnecessarily f***up the environment for vanity's sake? :mellow:

5. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ May 10 2007, 04:53 PM) [snapback]439528[/snapback]</div>
    I agree. You see that a lot with GM. It doesn't move us forward, it really is just venting I suppose. I don't shop at walmart but I'm glad to see them doing something positive.

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ May 10 2007, 03:53 PM) [snapback]439528[/snapback]</div>
    Agreed. We should probably stop showering and using hair gel too. I think a ceasation of washing our clothes would be a next progressive step too. I mean it's all a form of vanity really. Heck in some countries it is fashionable to stink of body odor. ;)