1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wal-Mart Wins.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, Jan 22, 2007.

1. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This past Wednesday the 4th Circuit upheld a ruling that struck down a Maryland law passed last year that would have required Wal-Mart to spend at least 8% of its payroll on health care benefits for its employees. The 4th Circuit said the law was pre-empted by ERISA.

Your views or opinions?

Mine:
    1. an obvious and easy win for the big boy.
    2. i still do not know why anyone other than the individual should be responsible for thier own health care? I mean does your employer also pay your utility bill, your food bill, etc? So why your health care bill.
    3. it might be in vogue to hate WalMart if you are a politico - it is silly from the common mans perspective in that the people who apply there to work and work there are so numerous and to this day so plenty there has to be something + about it. It makes no sense for politicians to block them from opening a store when so many people want to work there, and the fact is they will relocate it a short distance away taking along with it the taxes it generates.
    4. accept walmart for what walmart is - a stepping stone for hundreds of thousands of people, a drag on inflation, a + force in health care and innovation (their $3 or $4 co pay for Rx's, there going solar this year, etc). you are NOT going to make them disappear. They are also a + force for spreading wealth amongst poorer countries and exposing western culture abroad ( i know that is not a + thing here on this BB - but that is what it is)

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'm afraid i don't know any of the details of the case (a link to an article about it would be nice...), but i will say this: My company pays for a portion of my healthcare - granted, I still have to pay for a lot of it, but they do still pay for some.

In corporate America, the benefits package you get with your employer is almost as important as your annual salary - a fact emphasized by the calculations of "total compensation" over just salary.

Without knowing the details behind the case, i can't say which way i feel is better than the other... however, i do want to say that Walmart isn't really a stepping stone, as you claim it to be. People work there when they're young and still in school, same as a lot of other places, and their employment after graduation usually has nothing at all to do with their job at Walmart. (in fact, if all you did during school was work at Walmart, it would be a hindrance to you when compared to students who had internships and work in related fields). The other group of people who work there are those who are pretty much not going anywhere with their lives - if the 30-something single mother of 3 working the checkout line could be in a better paying job, don't you think she already would? And how does working in the checkout line help you to get a better job?

So finally, i think that Walmart *should* operate like most of corporate America in terms of the benefits package... but it also probably shouldn't be forced to do so by the government.

3. jtullos

jtullos New Member

Hmmm. As always, it comes down to a matter of who should bear a particular cost. In this case, who pays for the employee's health insurance, Wal-Mart or the employee? And there are rational arguments for each. If Wal-Mart pays for it, overall, it's likely to be cheaper, because of the tremendous pressure Wal-Mart could put onto an insurer to keep costs lower. If the employees pay for it, then costs will likely be higher, but then Wal-Mart isn't paying for employees who may seldom if ever use the coverage.

What do I think? I'd prefer an employee opt-in sponsored by Wal-Mart. Probably with the employee paying at least 50%, if not 100% of the cost (not counting administrative overhead that Wal-Mart would pay if they do anything). However, since it would be under a group plan, the cost would be lower than if the employee were to buy their own coverage individually.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't know the details of the case either.

However, I have seen articles - mostly from this board - in which American automotive manufacturers are overwhelmed with healthcare costs and pension plans. They are crying that it's unfair that "foreign" companies don't have the same expenses.

It would seem to me that this might be a similar - though not exact - situation. What I'm saying is that hypothetically if Sears spends 20% of their revenue providing healthcare and other benefits to every one of their employees then competing with a company who doesn't do the same would be difficult.

5. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Jan 22 2007, 12:22 PM) [snapback]379010[/snapback]</div>
    I would favor letting the employee have the money that was going towards the company sponsored health care plan and let him/her invest in something since very rarely does one form of policy cover many different employees. It would also let the marketplace work more efficiently and take away another level of middlemen in the whole equation.

Walmart does operate like most of America to which it is categorized. To single it out is obviously illegal - hence the ruling.

6. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Jan 22 2007, 09:22 AM) [snapback]379010[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jan 22 2007, 09:51 AM) [snapback]379030[/snapback]</div>
    The Baltimore Sun - Md. Wal-Mart law dealt second defeat

7. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

I think basic health care should be covered by the government.

8. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Jan 22 2007, 02:19 PM) [snapback]379074[/snapback]</div>
    I am not sure what "basic health care" is - but I am against anything healthcare being run by the government. When they can deliver the mail in an acceptable manner, I will consider letting them go onto the next task, like securing our borders. Healthcare in the governments hands is a nighmare, disaster, complete and total cluster****. And I am shocked that there are those here on this very BB who would advocate that - imagine if the government knew everything about you - not just who you call, and what is inside your mail - imagine if they knew your very personal medical history including gene profile!!!! That should scare the daylights out of any good liberal much less conservative.

Color me shocked you would want the govt to know you in a very detailed way - and with the details available to them in the next decade or so being very very detailed - like your DNA.

9. Stringmike

Stringmike New Member

The way Wal-Mart maintains low prices is by getting substantial tax and other concessions from towns and cities, by buying from low-cost suppliers (some using sweat shop and child labor) and by aggressively controlling costs. Some of you may remember the lawsuits that Wal-Mart lost over making employees work overtime "off the clock". They also don't provide much in the way of benefits to employees, including health insurance, the cost of which is often transferred to states.

The US health care system has evolved into offering health insurance through employment and few people have the option of buying in to insurance on their own - believe me, I know! Wal-Mart's opting out of this generally accepted business practice in order to obtain a market-place advantage doesn't impress me.

Although the recent ruling overturns one attempt to control Wal-Mart's transfer of costs, the bigger question is whether or not Wal-Mart's business model is sustainable given the level to which they are subsidised by local taxes.

Adoption of a US national health care system would remove this one burden for those unfortunate enough not to have insurance through employment or be well enough paid to buy it out of their own pocket. It would also level the playing field for other retail stores and put Wal-Mart's business practices into proper perspective.

Mike

10. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jan 22 2007, 03:48 PM) [snapback]379094[/snapback]</div>
    I would trust the government with medical information before I would trust a corporation. Are you against government involvement in health care because of their alleged incompetency, or because it's a step on the slippery slope towards communism? :rolleyes: Are you against insurance of all forms, or only health?

11. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    well, i've got lots of mixed feelings on the whole health insurance realm after our summer/fall of horror.

as far as wal-mart and health insurance go, i think it's reasonable for them to go to an insurer and at least bargain a good rate for their employees, even if they only are paying for 1% of each employee's premium. they've got fantastic bargaining power, given the number of people they'd be looking to insure. it would be helpful for their employees' well being and you'd think that would be sufficient motivation. [edit: and before i get hit for that comment, i know it isn't, and that profit is king, and all that...] i know small businesses and even my graduate school have a hard time securing decent premiums because the group is small.

but... i don't think the government has a place in mandating whether or not employers offer health insurance benefits.

12. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jan 22 2007, 12:38 PM) [snapback]378991[/snapback]</div>
    Well, the state was suing because Wal-Mart is basically offloading its healthcare costs by having its employees apply for state assistance. So instead of Wal-Mart paying for its employees' coverage, you and I do with our taxes. Obviously good for Wal-Mart's shareholders, but aggravating to the states.

13. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Healthcare should be 100% free for U.S. citizens (and various appropriate classifications thereof). Our government is given the task of protecting us and our borders, why should it not encompass our personal health? The healthier/happier we are, the more productive. If we can fund Iraq/Afghanistan on an almost whim, to the tune of 96 billion +, we can fund universal healthcare. ...and it should encompass everything but cosmetic procedures.

maybe even implement some tax mechanism as to where if you're rich enough to pay 100% for your own health care, you get to deduct, dollar for dollar, from your taxes. Pay for someone ELSE'S health care, and you can deduct 2... No one should have to liquidate all their assets before the gov. starts picking up the tab...

14. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jan 22 2007, 12:51 PM) [snapback]379030[/snapback]</div>

Well, I don't know about all foreign countries, but there are some where you have health care under the government so the manufacturer doesn't have to offer a health care plan. I also believe America is one of the few countries that not only has privatized health care, I.E. insurance but that it is a "for profit" business.

People who work should have health care. It makes monetary sense as it saves money in the long run. The problem in this country is who should pay. An employee making minimum wage cannot afford to pay the costs of an individual health care plan. Then there's medicine. Then there's why we're not allowed to buy medicine from Canada, even though it was made in the U.S. A. (And people in Canada aren't dieing from taking their meds so they must be safe.)

It's a big, complicated problem. But one thing is for sure. Health care in the U.S. is not working. Not for the working poor.

15. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Jan 22 2007, 03:10 PM) [snapback]379113[/snapback]</div>
    So you have no problem with them listening to your phone conversations or opening your mail - if they can keep your darkest medical problems a secret, then for sure they can handle the info they will gain when they tap your communications?

I like market based solutions - do not want the govt doing anything beyond defense and other founding father stuff.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jan 22 2007, 03:39 PM) [snapback]379133[/snapback]</div>
    Before the govt should cover 100% of your healthcare - why not 100% of your food bills and utility bills - obviously without eating or electricity there would be no need for healthcare? Should they cover your burial costs too?

And here is the zinger.....

And obviously if you trust them with making decisions on your health - you should trust them 100% on the decisions they make about defending you :lol: Thanks for your support of the Iraq War and the War on Terror - we could use it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jan 22 2007, 04:07 PM) [snapback]379144[/snapback]</div>
    Wrong - health care is not working for Canadians - ask them.

16. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    We Can't Make It Here Anymore

17. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jan 22 2007, 05:17 PM) [snapback]379147[/snapback]</div>
    You're making ASSumptions again - at no time did I say I supported tapping my phone, reading my mail, or sending troops to Iraq.
    I'm Canadian. I pay $108 per month for health insurance for a family of four. We can go to the doctor whenever we feel it's necessary, and have whatever tests, procedures, and operations they feel are warranted. No extra bill. Works for me.

18. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    OK, let me see if I'm reading the Neocon playbook correctly:

1) Your employer should NOT be paying for your health insurance. You should pay for it yourself.

2) There should be no minimum wage. Hey, if three bucks a week is good enough for China, it should be good enough here for menial jobs.

3) The Government should not be paying for your health insurance, either. If you can't afford it, you don't deserve it.

Why don't just shoot people for being poor? It would be a lot quicker.

19. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Jan 22 2007, 04:53 PM) [snapback]379166[/snapback]</div>
    Please - I have family in Canada and he is a surgeon - and they come south all the time for health care. How long do you wait for:

ct scans
    mri"s
    PET scans
    organ transplantation - you die trying
    advanced chemo - you dont get it
    cardiac bypass surgery - forgetaboutit
    statins....

jeez - as long as you are healthy you are ok - as long as the state does not run out of money somewhere around september of each year. do NOT get real sick there - if you do, thanks for support of the American economy. and why do soooo many Canadians move south after they finish their education like my cousins??

20. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Jan 22 2007, 05:57 PM) [snapback]379170[/snapback]</div>
    Why shoot them when you can turn them into indentured servants through medical bill debt? :eek: