1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Walmart and solar?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by burritos, May 9, 2007.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    http://www.renewableenergyaccess.com/rea/n...DB002F?id=48431

"The total solar power production from the stores is estimated at 20 million kWh (kilowatt-hours) per year, possibly becoming one of the world's top-10 solar power initiatives in the U.S. when fully implemented."

Why are they just doing it for 22 stores? That doesn't make sense.

2. ozyran

ozyran New Member

I imagine it's just a starting point, almost like the company is testing the water with solar technology to see how well it will work. Give 'em a few months, and it may very well catch on into something bigger and better.

3. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ May 9 2007, 02:35 PM) [snapback]438407[/snapback]</div>
    It's a "Pilot project", which is a phrase usually used to indicate an initial implementation of an idea in order to work out the kinks before widespread implementation.

It makes sense to me. It's much better to try things on a smaller scale so you find out whether you need that gizmo instead of this gizmo before you buy and install 1000s of them all over the country.

4. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ May 9 2007, 01:45 PM) [snapback]438415[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah you're right. I'll have to give walmart credit for at least trying. I'm sure they're getting subsidies up the wazoo.

5. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ May 9 2007, 03:53 PM) [snapback]438572[/snapback]</div>
    How would they be different from Google, Darelldd, or anyone else who installs a PV array? I think what they're doing is great, not because I like Walmart, but because they're showing how these efforts make business sense. If it gives them a competitive edge then others are going to have to follow suit. That's a good thing.

6. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The windmill on the store will actually make Walmart money in short order. (A few years) All of these measures talked about help make walmart insulated from the price of energy. And of course they <and I> think it will continue to rise.

7. scargi01

scargi01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ May 9 2007, 08:33 PM) [snapback]438731[/snapback]</div>
    Agreed - In today's corporate environment most executive mgmt is afraid to take risks that might take more than 3 months to start showing results. I think Walmart doing this will have the effect of making it "ok" for other corporations to spend the capital on this type of investment. If it works out for Walmart (and I don't think they would be doing it if they didn't have a guaranteed ROI) it won't be long before you will see the copy cats in other corps doing the same sort of thing. When they discover they can actually lower costs and insulate themselves against the rising cost of energy from the grid it will, hopefully, become all the rage. Then you have a market for Solar energy equipment that will help drive down the costs per unit.

8. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ May 9 2007, 02:45 PM) [snapback]438415[/snapback]</div>
    Exactly - Imagine walmart being viewed as a green company. They are also reducing packing by something like 75% - their lightbulb initiative - perhaps people will want to shop there not just for low prices but because they are environmentally friendly??

Imagine if they spread that out to all their locations! I wonder if they could even sell some of the electricity they generate back to the public utility making them some more bucks?

AND AND AND

Imagine when they announce electric outlets at all the parking lots so you can plug in your plug in hybrid and recharge your battery using power generated from solar energy - HOLD ME BACK - CAN IT BE - WALMART LEADING THE WAY TO A GREENER TOMORROW AT LOWER PRICES :D

9. scargi01

scargi01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 10 2007, 09:28 AM) [snapback]439050[/snapback]</div>

This would be good news for those in the therapy business because all the people on the left that hate Walmart would go nuts. :lol:

10. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05_SilverPri @ May 10 2007, 10:34 AM) [snapback]439056[/snapback]</div>
    Exactly - what is more important for "greenies" - the economy or the environment. Imagine when shopping at walmart is best for the environment AND your pocketbook. Imagine if you dont shop at walmart you are causing more harm to the environment - WOW. Looks like walmart is heading in the right direction. love it. a big corporation doing what is good for the environment without govt threats, etc.

i think that they also offer paxil on their $3 copay plan :lol: they better stock up as you noted.

11. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    good. i hope they do decide to eventually implement it in all of their stores, and i hope that sets a trend. and i hope that stimulates the market and drives down the price for when we build a house some day in the apparently distant future.

12. scargi01

scargi01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 10 2007, 09:41 AM) [snapback]439065[/snapback]</div>
    me too - I would love to install solar panels on the roof of my barn but I can't afford it.

13. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ May 9 2007, 08:33 PM) [snapback]438731[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah. My bad on the trite dig at Walmart. They're stepping up and I have to give all kinds of credit to them.

As to dberman's question on what's more important, the enviroment or the economy, I think you can have success in both. If we change the model of a fossil fuel based economy and gradually rearrange it to a renewable energy based economy, imagine all the jobs that will be created with the building of solar panels and wind turbines to run america. There will be growing pains. I think it'll be much better with renewables where we pay for our energy up front instead of paying for fossil fuels cheaply initially but then having to later deal with the blowback of global warming, pollution, and geopolitical instability.

14. Lywyllyn

Lywyllyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Of course this is a no brainer for ol' Sam. He has been such a cost cutting hound that this pilot project is the next test in increasing revenue by reducing operating costs. No item on sale at WalMart will become cheaper because of this! Overall it is a good thing for the environment as a WalMart store is surely an energy hog (think AC and lighting) and this will reduce the demand on the grid they are plugged into. Also I am sure it will be an intertie system, so if they generate more then they use on a given day, the credits can be used up at night. There is no cash to be made, but rest assured that measures will be undertaken to reduce the consumption throughout the day, just so that credits earned can be used to its fullest at night or on rainy day operations.

The downside is that it gives them another way to increase their dominance by placing more smaller stores and the mom&pop stores out of business, as those businesses can't really afford solar themselves and their operating costs remain the same.

Still won't shop there, using solar still does not make you an equal opportunity employer and treating all your employees well and offering the same salaries to all genders and creeds.

But hey there is always hope that they will see the 'light' :)