1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Walmart Batteries SUCKS

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by cproaudio, Mar 28, 2014.

1. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I know this is the wrong section but it's about my Tacoma battery. Walmart may not have the right battery for the Prius but I'm sure there are alot of people here who own other cars but not a member of other forums.
    Walmart's MAXX battery has a 2 year replacement and 2 year prorated. My Tacoma calls for group 35 (OEM size) or 24F (oversize). They're not cheap either, not like $50 or even $70. At the time of purchase, they cost $99.95 each. In Nov 2010, I bought the group 35 battery. The battery died in December of 13. When I went to Walmart, They told me that I had to pay $52 dollars for the prorated battery. At the time, 35 battery cost the same as 24F. I decided to upgrade to the 24F. This past few days, the truck won't start in the morning 3 days in a row. I removed the battery but couldn't find the receipt. I figure Walmart can look up the battery warranty on the computer. I was expecting a straight exchange since the battery is only 3 month old. When they did, I was asked to pay $82 for the prorated battery. I saw their computer is prorating from the 3 1/2 year old 35 battery plus I had to pay extra to get the 24F battery because it's now $8 more.

Had I bought the battery at Costco, none of this would have happened.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, that's brutal. kind of surprising for walsmart.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    had you not lost the receipt, would the result be different?

4. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't know. I bought a battery from Costco already. I'll goto Walmart tomorrow so they can reprint the receipt then I'll ask for refund. Costco already told me that any time the battery is exchanged free or prorate, the warranty gets reset and start from the date of exchange. None of what walmart crap. Even Bestbuy has better extended warranty policy than that. I remember when my computer monitor broke 2 years into a 5 year warranty, they refunded the full price of the monitor and prorated the extended warranty.

5. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Was the new battery fully charged BEFORE being installed ?
    And have you tested the charging system to be sure it isn't broken ??
    Both those things are very important when installing a new battery........in anything.

AND.....I'm not necessarily defending WalMart but most companies won't "reset" your warranty and start the clock over after one warranty replacement; you only get the balance of the original time.

hlunde likes this.
  6. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think their batteries are what they used to be either.
    We bought one for our CRV on 9/2013, and it's already showing signs of diminished cold cranking power. And that's their "MAXX " series with 3 year full replacement, + 2yrs pro ration after that.

Walmart's kind of crazy with their battery warranty's.
    You know how they test a battery for warranty replacement? They put a simple voltmeter on it!
    They don't do a current test, CCA test, or even a specific gravity test. They use a voltmeter that makes a printout on paper.

If you're in the the 2 year no pro-ration period and your battery is becoming suspect- and you'd like a new battery for free... just run one down to zero volts and you'll get a new one no questions asked! If you bring one in with 12 volts showing on a volt meter- no soup for you! That's the game Walmart makes you play, so if you know the rules going in- you'll come out ahead.

They also bank on the fact that many ppl lose their receipts, especially after 2-3 years, so they fashion their policies to take advantage of that- they are under no obligation to keep a copy of your receipt locally on hand for you.

7. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I think you are making an incorrect assumption here.
    I bet that "voltmeter" has a load resistance built into it.
    ALL battery tests are really voltage tests, just with different loads applied.

8. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I gave up on Walmart batts too. Had a couple go dead w/in a year for the bike and rider mower.
    I stick to NAPA, MOTOBATT and OPTIMA GOLD . No more 1 year replacements.

DBCassidy

9. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you ever seen the tiny device they use at Walmart for warranty checks?
    It's the size of a printing calculator and it's got 16 gauge wire connected to small alligator clamps. There's no way that little device they use could draw any meaningful current from a 12volt automotive battery without melting the 16 gauge leads then burning up the device itself. It uses a simulated CCA draw current to decide if the battery is actually good or bad.

Have you seen a proper "old school" 200-500 amp capacity battery tester at an automotive shop? It's got thick gauge wire connected to heavy duty clamps and heavy heatsinks on the device itself with a big rehostat on the front.
    Here's a real battery load tester:
    1.jpg

Here's the "tester" they use at walmart, it's a joke...
    small.jpg

bisco likes this.
  10. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    99 is cheap. A Prius 12v batter is 150-250$.

11. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Maybe but probably not.

IF your objective is to find the ones that are REALLY bad, that device would be more than sufficient.
    Apply a medium load for a half second or so, which wouldn't smoke anything and take an instantaneous voltage drop reading. From the drop at a medium load, you can project the overall health with some pretty high degree of certainty.

Sometimes the old tried-and-true methods are the best.
    Other times technology finds better answers.

I can not say absolutely that the WalMart tester is valid or that it is not because I haven't seen the spec's on it or had one to play with but I CAN say that it is absoloutely possible for a box that size to do a valid test.

12. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Walmart got rid of their auto service center so it's handled by the general return department. They don't test batteries. The battery's manufacture date was 12/13 and was also bought in the same month.

The Tacoma has a competition stereo system with an on board variable power supply. Voltage can be adjusted from 8V-14V. I can operate the stereo for days without killing the battery. In fact, when plugged in, it maintains the battery at 14V no matter how hard the stereo is pounding. Also at that voltage, it charges the battery as well if the battery is low. I don't turn on the stereo system anymore because I'm over that phase of my life but too lazy to pull the system out. I listen to it occasionally.

Now that I got that out of the way, When I plug in the PSU, the meter will show the battery voltage. When I turn on the PSU, I can adjust the output voltage. the higher the voltage, the higher the amperage will put out to charge the battery until the battery is fully charged to that voltage then the output amperage gradually drops. Unlike a battery charger that feeds 10 amp to the battery no matter of the battery is charged or not.

Each of those 3 days of dead battery, I plug in the regular charger to give the initial charge to bring the battery up to 10 volts. Then I turn on the onboard PSU and it takes over from there. The PSU is left on over night and maintain the battery at 14 volts. It would start up right away in the morning. By the time I get off work, the battery would be dead.

I have about 15 years of experience as a professional car audio/video/navigation installer. I know how to deal with batteries.

$100 is cheap compared to a Prius battery but It's expensive compared to a conventional sized battery. Prius's battery is expensive because of its oddly small size with a normal car battery post.

13. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry but if you think it is OK to let a battery "float" at 14 volts......while attached to a high amperage charging source......then you know a LOT LESS about batteries than you think you do.

The "nominal" no load voltage for a modern AGM battery is about 12.8 volts and the usual float voltage is only 13.2 to 13.4. More than that for a long period of time is not good. Neither is deep discharging a normal car battery. Those two things together probably were large factors in your battery's failure.

Oh, and I have about 45 years of experience AND TRAINING as an Electronics Engineering Technician but readily admit that I don't know everything.

14. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Now see this is where you're wrong. A healthy battery is not 12.8V but rather 12.6V. A healthy alternator voltage is 13.8-14.2V. Over the years of testing people's batteries, the voltage varies by .2v. A battery resting at 12.4-12.8V is nothing to be of concern. When it drops to below 12V, that's when you have to keep your eyes out on the battery.
    My battery was never discharged in anyway before it died 3 days before being replaced. You're thinking of a regular battery charger that puts out amperage regardless of charge state of the battery. However, the PSU I have adjusts amperage output according to load needs. The battery actually pulls 1/2 amp to maintain the 14V state. There's nothing wrong with keeping a battery at 14 volts over night. If there was, God forbid us for driving across the country 18 hours at a time.

15. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    A few years ago that would have been right but not anymore.

The current "good" and "best" batteries are all of the AGM type and the voltages are a tad bit higher.
    You are right for the cheap wet-cell vented type of batteries.
    Their voltage is a bit lower and they are less sensitive to abuse......except leaving them DEAD for long periods of time.

You are correct that applying 14 V for a few hours, like overnight, is perfectly OK.
    Floating them at 14 or more over long periods is NOT OK.

16. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've heard it both ways: some people say the warranty only applies only to the original battery and not the replacement, while some other people claim that they were able to replace battery for new one several times every 2 years. So far, I got once a prorated replacement on one car and a free replacement on another.

17. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This is ridiculous. I have never heard this before. Imagine, you bought a tire, and it defected half way through the thread. You get a new tire prorated from the old tire. Then the thread split half way though the thread. You go back to the tire shop and they said no, its out of warranty because the warranty continued from the old tire. Imagine you some how won a lemon claim against Toyota on your Prius with 100,000 miles. They gave you a new Prius and told you that you don't have factory warranty on the replacement Prius because the warranty carried over from your old lemon. I'm having a problem with they giving me a new battery yet it's warranty continued from the original battery. A new product should have its own warranty start from the day of delivery. If they refurb the dead battery then I wouldn't have a problem because it's still the same battery.

18. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The tire example is good, but the lemon Prius is a very lame one. No one gets new car replacement at 100,000 miles, no matter had bad lemon (lemon laws are for new cars only).

A better Prius related example is HV battery. If you get one replaced under 150,000 miles, do you expect it to be covered for another 150,000 miles? No, I didn't think so.

My thinking is when you buy a new battery with proration, it should be covered by a new battery warranty. On the other hand, free replacement may be carried by the original warranty?

We need someone who works for Walmart to answer that.

19. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Companies make their own warranty policies.
    They don't have to be "fair" or "right" by YOUR definition.
    If that is a major concern for anybody, be sure to read and understand the warranty policy BEFORE YOU BUY.

If you do that, I think that you will find that the original terms and time frame apply to repaired or replaced units for a LOT of things.....from TVs to computers to washing machines.

20. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I did pay to get a new battery. It wasn't a free replacement. The new battery only lasted 3 months. Walmart wants to charge me $82 to prorate from the first battery, not this one.
    There's no written statement regarding what happens if the replacement battery fails. Walmart closed down the auto center. There's no help. It's a freaking Walmart. Let's see you get help in Walmart, let alone get help on a specific item.