1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Walmart Tint self application

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by electricity_guzzler, May 8, 2006.

1. electricity_guzzler

electricity_guzzler New Member

I saw that they have cheap tints available at Walmart for do-it-yourself. I'm thinking of applying tints to my rear windows and the hatch. Has anyone tried these walmart DIY tints? Is it easy to do?

2. 200Volts

200Volts Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did mine with Kragen's film (poor optics-orange peel like)
    Both rear side and the rear hatch window have compound curves, so you will tend to end up with wrinkles. The rear hatch is a very big, akward piece.
    Next time I'll pay to have it done.

3. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

Does it say on the package what the brand of the film is? It's all-important.

4. electricity_guzzler

electricity_guzzler New Member

but the walmart tint is like $12 or something. might not be worth paying somebody just to not have a few wrinkles.

5. unruhly

unruhly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(electricity_guzzler @ May 8 2006, 03:00 PM) [snapback]251609[/snapback]</div>

Dude! You shelled out how much for your package #9 car? Don't skimp on the window film. Get a pro to do it for about $200.00. You won't be sorry. If you decide to do it yourself, you'll be at a tint shop in the long run anyway cause you won't be happy with it. Just save your anxiety for something else like the EV mod.

6. ServoScanMan

ServoScanMan Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I had my car professionally done. When I picked it up, I noticed the little window in the back below the hatch was not tinted. I asked the installer about it. He told me that little window piece was made of lexan and the tint would not stick to it. I thought this was wrong. I went to WalMart and bought the dark black window tint that you can remove. I think it was about $12. I measured the back window, roughly cut out a piece of tint and applied it temporarily (dry). The tint sticks with a static cling. I used a blue sharpie to trace the outline of the window since it has curves in it. I took the film down and did my final trim with sissors. I mixed up a spray bottle of water and a little dishwashing soap. I sprayed the window and the film. I pressed the film on the window. I sprayed the back side of the film. I used a credit card and squeezed all the bubbles out starting from the center and working my way to the outsides. Well, it turned out great. It's been on for almost three weeks and it has not fallen off yet.