1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Walt Disney World: The Government's Tomorrowland?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Tideland Prius, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Walt Disney World, which bills itself as one of the happiest and most magical places anywhere, also may be one of the most closely watched and secure. And control over park entrances is getting even tighter: the nation's most popular tourist attraction now is beginning to scan visitor fingerprint information.

For years, Disney has recorded onto tickets the geometry and shape of visitors’ fingers to prevent ticket fraud or resale, as an alternative to time-consuming photo identification checks.

By the end of September, all of the geometry readers at Disney’s four Orlando theme parks, which attract tens of millions of visitors each year, will be replaced with machines that scan fingerprint information, according to industry experts familiar with the technology.

Full Article

2. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I reckon I've had about enough of Walt's world. Remember a few years ago when openly gay couples were a no-no there?

3. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

I guess I don't mind so much - it's not like WDW is any sort of essential service. I bet they'll give an option to go through a different gate and show identification, as they do now. So long as we don't start hearing about them making the information available to anyone else, I'll pick a different hill to die on.

Rufaro - I've lived in Florida my whole life, and I can honestly say that I can't remember a time when openly gay couples were given a hard time. I went to WDW every year with my openly (obviously) gay aunts - we ate in the restaurants, rode the rides, used the transportation system - I can't say we (they, I suppose) were treated as anything other than just another few paying guests.

4. hv74656

hv74656 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As a cast member, I've been told that if a guest does not want their fingers scanned for some reason, that they can get in as long as they show a photo ID with their ticket. It doesn't really matter anyway because most of the security is just for show, like the bag checks. Backstage, security is more of a joke than anything else. However, WDW is still safer than most places in the country.

5. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oops, it was more than a few years ago. It was 1984. (See last paragraph of article.) I believe it was male homosexuals, as is often the case, who were targeted, as easier to "spot" than females.

I seem to remember "news" articles around that time that accused gay males of "recruiting." Anita Bryan was a poster child for them....until HER husband came out.

6. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Sep 5 2006, 11:59 AM) [snapback]314670[/snapback]</div>
    They were at Disneyland in the 1970's, but not after that, I don't think. At that time, they stopped couples from dancing.

The finger and fingerprint thing is just a biometric formula in their computers, and not a reason to be concerned. There are alternatives for the black helicopter crowd.

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You can't sue Disney in Florida.

If anything happens to you at Disneyworld...for instance false arrest and confinement for suspected shoplifting you can't sue them. There's a law in Florida that has to do with lawyers not being able to work against a former client. And Disney has hired just about every lawyer worth anything at one time or another. So...you'll never be able to find a competant lawyer to sue Disney if you had just cause.

Me? I have no plans to go to DisneyWorld. Now less than ever.

That "who cares it doesn't pertain to me" is the slippery slope to a Fascist state.

I'm a teacher and my fingerprints are on file with the state. But DisneyWorld has no business printing me. I don't let the grocery stores scan the barcode on my driver's license either. None of their business.

8. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(geologyrox @ Sep 5 2006, 03:24 PM) [snapback]314685[/snapback]</div>
    Rufaro-I reckon I've had about enough of Walt's world. Remember a few years ago when openly gay couples were a no-no there?

:lol: :lol: :lol: The finger printing idea is great!!!

Rufaro- its non of my business, oh never mind.. I have never heard of WDW discriminating towards gay people... Thats the RED T-SHIRT DAYS thier money is like the rest its green! Becides it seems that WDW employs quite a few gay people so it can't be said they discriminate ..
    I just hope I never see the day when they allow gay people to have open sex in restrooms ( recruiting ) or in public.. I'd be moving sooner to the mountains :rolleyes: .

Gay recruiting on the other hand that could be construded as sex, restroom recruiting or "cruising" is a no no, and should be reserved for the hotel room.... not in a restroom were a child might walkin.. :angry:

I hear they even have a cruising website somewere :eek: ... (to each their own as long as its behind closed doors).

Im a Fla native myself :)

I love it here, when I retire I want to move to the mountains and get away! ;)

9. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Sep 5 2006, 10:54 PM) [snapback]315033[/snapback]</div>

That's not true. Disney vigorously defends suits they think they have a chance of winning, and quickly settle suits they think will go forward. So you can "sue Disney successfully" if the measure of your success is getting compensation from them. There's one pending right now ... see http://www.pennsylvania-personal-injury-la...nst_disney.html ... in regards to the 4 year old who died after riding "Mission Space" in Epcot last year.

There was a high profile settled case that was reported on 60 Minutes or Dateline that people may remember, that was "unsettled" when fraud was discovered (it involved a modern-day Gypsy family who had a single girl claiming rape; her brother beat her up after she had sex with her boyfriend, she claimed rape, and they scammed Disney for a personal injury suit saying the hotel didn't have enough security).

I'm sure the Disney Company WANTS you to believe you can't sue them, just as they want you to think that you can't win a case against them in Anaheim, but there have been several suits that have prevailed. What the company does is, in most cases, is get a binding agreement that the plaintiffs cannot mention the terms of the settlement (although California law now prohibits that, and the terms of the settlements are public knowledge).

10. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Sep 6 2006, 01:54 AM) [snapback]315033[/snapback]</div>
    Thats like saying everyone that lives in San Francisco is Gay. :blink: :lol:

You can sue WDW, they will most likley settle out of court if your gonna try the discrimination thing good luck :rolleyes: