1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Want better returns? Drive a car with better mileage

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by jkash, Aug 13, 2004.

1. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Want better returns? Drive a car with better mileage

Scarily enough, the car you drive may be your most important investment decision right now. By saving just $1,000 a year on gas, you’d match the S&P 500’s yield on a portfolio worth almost $80,000.

Allow me to introduce a new investment vehicle: your car.

No, I'm not talking about investing in cars that rise in value. We all know that virtually never happens. Cars are a wasting asset. They lose value faster than money. Buy one in the morning; it will lose value before we get it into the garage.

So your car isn't a true investment vehicle.

But its fuel efficiency can be. Exchange your fuel-inefficient vehicle for one that gets better gas mileage, and you'll consume less gasoline. Every gallon not consumed is money not spent.

Read story from MSN Money by clicking this link.

Jeff

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    OK I feel better. I think that we will see 3.00/gallon by this time next year. I only wish that I had not bought a house during the Boing bust in 73-73 in Seattle. Oh well.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    great article~!

the math is eye popping!

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The flaw in their logic is the implied assumption that a different car must be a new car. You'll do better over the life of the car with a late model economy car than with a brand-new super-car like the Prius or Insight.

There's also the problem that not everyone has $20K to invest in a new car.

Let's try it a different way: Trade off your 35 mpg Civic on a 45 mpg Prius, drive 12,000 miles per year, and save 76 gallons of gas, or about $150 per year. That's a long-term investment, so an equivalent investment would be an insured bank CD at 5% (since we're talking very long-term) and you'd only need to invest $3,000 to yield the same return. Doesn't look so great anymore, does it?

The numbers in the article only work because they are using extreme car examples, they are leaving out the really economical option of a used car, they are assuming 15,000 miles per year, and $2 gas. And they are assuming that you are driving a gas-guzzler now.

Of course, if you are driving a gas-guzzler you are throwing a lot of money down the exhaust pipe, and maybe that's the real point of the article. But people who drive gas-guzzlers know they are throwing money away, and they have their reasons. Unpaved rural roads, the need to haul or tow big loads, or a stubborn belief, against all reason, but unshakable, that they are safer in a tank.

Me, I bought the Prius because it's cool and I wanted the safety features. I don't drive enough miles for the gas ever to amount to much.

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    5% for a CD??

where?