1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Want To Buy As Company Car, Need Help Deciding

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bankman, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Bankman

Bankman New Member

Hi Everyone, Lovely site here.

I work for a Bank in Vancouver, and we are in search of new cars. I am going to present to them the hybrid technologies that i think will save the company lots of money on gas, and help the enviroment because we drive about 1500 miles a week on one car.
    So, i am comparing between the Honda Civic Hybrid and the Prius. It seems that because the honda is so new, that dealers are marking up on them...if we can work out a deal i have already been told that the dealership i am working with will give me the civics for MSRP, which is awesome.

The difference i can see between the two is obviously looks. Second is the civic gets a little less milages per EPA...but i have read on here a lot less in numbers than what Toyota/EPA says also. I will need the car to make its worth in gas savings so i want what you think will perform better.

Also, the company will not want to spend alot. Its already pushing it by spending over 20k a piece, so i will need the most features (mostly saftey, not music or nav or HID lights etc) for the lowest dollar. I see that honda has all the safety features included to the price, whereas you must purchase safety packages with the Prius.

So based on real world owners, what do you think would be a better move? The Prius doesnt seem to have such a high dealer markup right now, probably because its been out longer and i've actually seen them on used lots for a few days at a time.

How is the car in traffic? One of the cars will do a lot of city driving, one will do a lot of highway driving. The third might actually be just a regular car because it wont be driven as much.

We are going from very unsafe, and not well built and small chevy aveos, hoping to sell the company on accepting a change on going hybrid, and getting a safer car.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks for reading!

2. notsure

notsure New Member

Good luck on deciding.
    I went for the prius due to mpg (brand new averaging 50) safety (got the higher package, but if had gone for the lower package would make sure it had all of the air bags)
    I like the technology of the prius better than that of the civic.
    The prius also has plenty of room to haul, great hatchback. I am always hauling plants trees, dogs etc.
    My frist drive with it was 330 miles from the dealer to home, in high gusting winds, it drove wonderfully never felt like it was drifting leaning or being pushed around. Worse problem was keeping the speed down drove so smooth would be up at 80 mph without even knowing it.
    Last two days been driving in town, great pick up, don't feel like I am in a peanut next to the lg trucks.

3. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think you should go for the prius (suprise huh?). Adding on most saftey features (extra airbags) are not that expensive. You will get higher gas mileage and it will also make a real statement for the bak ("we are env friendly"). A civic will not be recognized as a hybrid by most drivers.

4. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you planning on doing a fleet order? I read plural in your post and figured that you would be purchasing 3, 4, 5 or more at the same time. You can actually save yourself some money if you do a fleet order. Ordering multiple copies of the same thing usually should mean a discount for you, and it should be good for the dealer because it has the potential to increase their allocation number, meaning more stock Prii will arrive on their lot in the future for sale to off the street buyers or people that have standing orders. If they turned down a fleet order and didn't give a fleet discount they would be fools.

If you haven't started a conversation with the dealership fleet/Internet sales manager then do so. If they do not have a fleet sales manager then insist that you deal with the regular sales manager with regard to this purchase. Since this is an institutional purchase I don't think it would be smart to just go through any old sales flunky they have on the floor.

Ok, as a company vehicle I can only assume that there will be multiple drivers and possibly many different passenger or cargo situations. That means you need a car that is both comfortable to carry multiple passengers and has enough cargo flexibility to handle nearly any future need. The back seat of the Prius has plenty of leg room. Much more than the Civic. Why? The two are different classes of vehicle. The Prius is a mid-size car by classification. The Civic is still a compact. The Prius also has more cargo utility being a hatchback and having a fully folding rear seatbacks. In general the Prius is a more comfortable vehicle and I think will be better on longer drives and less fatiguing for the driver and passengers.

In most driving situations the Prius will give you more mpg than the Honda, although Honda is working real hard to get their hybrid technology IMA more efficient, but the two hybrid systems cannot be compared side-by-side without noticing significant engineering differences. It doesn't necessarily make Honda's hybrid system inferior, but I certainly don't like it as much as Toyota's. It just isn't as graceful as Toyota's system. Mostly opinion there.

5. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    With that many miles I'm assuming there are different drivers. If the drivers are constantly changing and are pulled from a large pool of people I'd probably go with the Honda. IMO the Prius gearbox isn't intuitive enough for folks to just jump in and go.

If it's just a few different drivers then I'd go with the Prius, mainly due to it's size and mileage advantage.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Vancouver BC or WA? lol. (I'll assume BC)

Yeah. Go with fleet. I believe Toyota Canada needs it to be 5 or more cars to be considered as fleet buy. Also, if you want the most safety features per dollar, then ya the Civic Hybrid at $25,800 will be best. HOWEVER, note that the Civic Hybrid's safety features only include passive features (i.e. airbags). It does have Brake Assist though. The Prius comes with standard Traction Control (TRAC) and Brake Assist. The stability control (VSC) and airbags come with the Premium Package (Pkg "B"). I'm not sure if the PST rebate works for fleet purchases.

If you and the people who will be driving the company cars are willing to learn how to drive a Prius properly, your bank will be rewarded with savings. If you drive the Prius like I see some of the couriers around here, then you won't see much savings anyway. It's been 15 months/21,000km and I've yet to break the Cdn$1,000 mark for fuel costs even though summer gas prices were high.

Also with the Prius, at least people will know that your bank supports low emission vehicles. Have you seen the Novex Civic Hybrids? Yeah they had to paint it sky blue or with flowers and write HYBRID is nice, big letters to tell people that it's a hybrid, not a regular Civic.

Anyway, for city driving both would work well. I do notice that downtown driving hurts my mileage a tad because the traffic drains my battery down to two bars at which time I can't run on battery since the computer won't let the battery drain. However, the Civic's "EV" time is significantly shorter so the engine will be running more often.

For highway driving, the Civic might be a better choice. I'd imagine the new Civic to get similar highway mileage at 100km/h as the Prius.

If you need to transport clients around, the Prius is a better choice as it's more spacious.

A final note. I searched for used Priuses around Vancouver. I only found one good deal. The rest are all marked up. The only good deal was an 05 with nav for $32k ($6k off). The others were all base models for $29k ($1k off new) which is definitely not worth it since a new one has the $2,000 rebate (which would make the final price lower than the used car's final price) and used cars don't quality for the rebate.

7. Bankman

Bankman New Member

Actually it is Vancouver Washington, so prices are lower in numbers here.

It will likely be at leat two cars, but its not totally clear yet. The Prius does give off the hybrid info without having to write hybrid on it, or paint flowers on it.

No passengers will be carried, just the couriers. Of which there are 4 of those. One in the morning, one at night. two of the cars will have only one daily driver, the other will have two, which gets the most mileage obviously.
    Honestly i like the prius too, however the company will like the cheapest. Unless i can work out a deal with the dealership, i think they would go with the civic simply on price. Thats if they go hybrid at all. But the other option to hybrid is the new regular civic, which still offers about 40MPG, at 6k less. No such option with the Prius there.

And we do need a sturdy car, the couriers drive them hard sometimes, and it can be hard rain here, as well as very windy most of the winter time. Something those Aveos do not like at all.

Thanks for the replys! Ill keep checking back, and let you know what we choose in the next month or so.

8. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So it comes down to miles. If your cars gets driven a lot of miles then you can still make the price up. That and maintenence costs. I saw somewhere a bank in Cali that where using the Classic Prius as a courier (very similar to what you are doing) and the maintence costs for the Prius over it's life seemed really low. So it migght be iniitally more expensive to buy a hybrid but total cost might be lower.

The civic would be a fine car maybe escpecially if driven hard.

9. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're looking only at purchase price as a measure of cost, I think you're missing a big part of the picture. Have you prepared a five or ten year spreadsheet showing estimated maintenance costs, gas, insurance, and resale value? That should give you a better idea.

10. McShemp

McShemp New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Toyaota suspended fleet orders for the Prius' (Prii?) late last year. If they've resumed it's news to me.

11. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

I do not know about Toyota suspending fleet orders. I just heard of one dealer who sold 40 Prii to the California AAA. Maybe they didn't call it a "fleet"...