1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Want to Ck OUT a 2003, but Im SO new, I need Experts

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by gkalexdc, Feb 21, 2017.

1. gkalexdc

gkalexdc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    N/A
    Good Day Everyone !
    Im Greg, I live in Houston. I love those GEN 1 prius !! So, Ive got a line on a non running car.
    Its been "idle for a while".... Love that. Anyhow, I want a learning curve car, I don't mind what I get into, even a HV replace, whatever, but my MAIN question is:
    How do I approach this car, with my Cen Tech OBD2 98562 scanner, ( # may be a little off), I have gotten info from Good Ol DRACO and got a Mini Vic whatever from Hong Kong and one of my OLD XP Laptops...but what do I have to do to get some codes from a dead car ?? Should I buy a cheap Lead Acid battery, to power it up ? I need a WORKFLOW chart !! My thought was to disconnect the old Battery, use the 12 V battery I will bring fully charged, and proceed to try and get a KEY ON position and read some codes. All this is fantasy. I know that having NEVER done this before, I won't know how to use the program on my LapTop, and I will just see If I can get some CEN TECH OBD2 codes. Am I going to have an immobilizer reset ?
    What ya think guys.....
    Thanks in Advance.
    Greg

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there is a thread here on who should or should not own a gen 1. start there i suppose. if it turns out you should, subscribe to toyota tech info, and go at it the same way they would at the dealer.
    all the best!(y)

3. gkalexdc

gkalexdc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    N/A
    Have read the sticky on Who Should.... I should !!
    Just need advice on hooking this car up when I get there with the owner etc. AS per the story above.
    Thanks for the Toyota Tech info, and is there a link, and how does THAT work....??
    This forum is great!
    Greg

bisco likes this.
  4. greasemonkey007

greasemonkey007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it's only the 12V dead or run down, then a good battery and jumper cables should get it powered up. I have even checked codes on a 2nd gen that would come out of the off position.

5. gkalexdc

gkalexdc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    N/A
    So, I need to be in the KEY ON position to check codes, right?
    And, according to your post , Grease, If I have good 12Volts, I can get the codes, even if the Traction Battery is dead ?
    Again Thanks.

Brian in Tucson likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    TIS techinfo.toyota.com it's a subscription service. along with mini vci, everything you need to service toyota vehicles.

7. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's pretty necessary for the dash to light up--which it will do with a charged up 12v. While you can get some of the codes with the Centech, Techstream will pull codes and the Toyota only codes the Centech isn't meant to get and it will let you see the condition of the HV battery. You can use the Toyota subscription service or you can bite the bullet and get the service manuals on Ebay--spendy, but that's what I did. I suspect that you'll find the HV battery dead--and probably quite degraded--the HV batteries don't do well with long periods of no use. At the very least, the buss bars between elements will be corroded. Have a look at the Hybrid Automotive (google it) and read up on their offerings. You can get a battery element load tester from them.

Lots of info just on the first page of this section of Prius Chat, I'd encourage you to spend a weekend or two reading it. My little 03 is one of my all time favorites!

Come back and ask when you have more info.

gkalexdc likes this.
  8. gkalexdc

gkalexdc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a really strong feeling that the Traction and the 12v are gonna be flat dead...I will take my multi Meter.
    IF .... the 12 v is dead... What do you all suggest? Take off the NEG so that it is NOT on the battery post, and connect my NEG jumper to it, and the POS post to the POS good battery. In other words, eliminate any parallel bad battery on the jump. I don't want to energize that dead battery, or jump from a running car.. I just want to bring a known good battery, with a full charge to the meting with this guy.
    Thanks Brisco for your great advice ! This is what I'm talking about. Nobody's even hiJacked the thread yet!! YAY!!
    Brian, you have really helped me too.. What a great forum.

9. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not going to write out a workflow chart for you, but feel free to call me if you want to talk through it.

If I were going to work on a Prius that's been sitting unused here are some basic things I'd have handy
    A known good 12v battery
    A voltmeter
    A cheap android tablet/phone
    An obdii Bluetooth reader.
    The Torque app. Pay for the pro version.
    A Minivci cable
    An xp laptop running techstream
    Starter fluid
    Socket set
    MAF cleaner
    Carb cleaner
    Rags

gkalexdc likes this.
  10. gkalexdc

gkalexdc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    N/A
    Gotta love it... Thanks EricBecky! I get the flow now. I got the voltmeter, the battery, cables, the Cen Tech is coming before ,
    and the Mini VCI is coming,but won't be here in time for the first meeting.
    The stuff to clean the MAS sensor, I see what you're doing with that .
    Carb cleaner.. But my guess is that the starting fluid you use for the mAF sensor, and carb cleaner for the throttle plate. Right?
    Thanks a million.. I mean it !!
    Greg

11. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You are on the right track.
    Some other things to check are the a/c pulley. Seen those seize up if it's been sitting a long time. Nothing like shredding a belt when the engine spins up.
    Remember, you have about 5 start up attempts before you drain the HV battery too low.
    You don't want that to happen.
    You might consider consider purchasing or building a HV battery charger/discharger.
    And lastly, you may need to buy a HV battery sooner than you think. So have some extra cash ready.

Edit: corrected the word "actual" to "a/c"

#11 ericbecky, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  12. gkalexdc

gkalexdc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    N/A
    I need a definition now, EricBecky... What......is an actual pulley. ?? That's new to me, a 62 yr old.
    Second, I have seen HV battery chargers, dischargers on here, ( can't remember where, but they were $ 350)
    But I would be very prone towards building one, as I love my recent foray into building electronic devices.
    Where are plans to build one?
    I will be already primed to buying a new HV pack, probably from Toyota, so I don't have to keep going into the pack, as theses older modules age... They have to all be at the end of any kind of service life.
    Everyone is giving me such good advice here. Lots different looking at an older Prius, than an old ICE car. We old guys know all the rules for those ICE cars. Prius' are very advanced and interesting technologies...
    Toyota did an almost "moonshot" development on these cars, with failure as NOT an option .

13. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Stupid autocorrect
    "a/c", not "actual".

14. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

You know how to use jumper cables, do it the normal way. The 12v battery doesn't drive a starter, so a whole lot of amperage isn't required.The old thing about if it doesn't start it's a parts car applies. Like your Tesla these are pretty complex cars. Potentially a money pit. You read the thread on the nonrunning 02, that sort of price range applies. (Did Linda L. get back to you?) The thing is, in the whole Houston area, there might be one or two Gen 1 Prii in wrecking yards, one would hope in a you pull it style yard. If you buy this turd, you could need a whole lots of parts. If it's been down for a while, the gas may have gone bad. Up to a year old, a cup of 101 octane booster may help. It's a little trick I learned starting Snowbirds Tucson beaters.

15. gkalexdc

gkalexdc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    N/A
    Brian, I agree with the won't start , then it's a $ pit. I think there is a lesson here in this thread, about cars people advertise that won't start.. BE AWARE, BE SCARED.. VERRRRY SCARED.
    The GEN 1 cars I see for sale, by dealers, are all fouled up with "extra fees" . Do you buy those, or take a chance... If you choose the chance, it has to be an educated chance. AND you better have access to some parts cars. I hadn't thought about that until you, Brian, brought that up.
    No, Linda L never returned fire.....
    Thanks ya'all
    Greg

16. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If a Gen 1 won't start, it is likely that the HV battery is already depleted beyond the point where it is able to function properly.
    People usually try many, many attempts of cranking over the car. Hammering down the HV battery pack voltage below its minimum threshold.
    You'll need to have some sort of HV charger (purchased or homebuilt) to bring the HV battery up beyond minimum voltage.

I'd get the 12v system up.
    Scan the car so I can get general data and especially read unloaded vblock voltages.
    I'd make sure to have my HV charger ready before even bothering to turn the car over.

17. gkalexdc

gkalexdc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    N/A
    HV charger as in Hybrid Automotive? Don't you have to install that to the HV feed (1.5 hr DIY job) is that what you mean by HV charger?
    I agree , but that would be a get it home and do that, after I buy it for $200 !! Hahahaha
    That's what I'll probably offer....

18. greasemonkey007

greasemonkey007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes sir.

gkalexdc likes this.
  19. gkalexdc

gkalexdc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Grease.

20. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I never buy from dealers. In AZ private party transactions have no sales tax requirement--dealers do. Private party sales tend to be closer to what the rig is worth, and you can bargain. I got my Prius with no funds changing hands, I swapped a 98 Dodge Ram for mine (got the truck for nothing, put a new, used motor in and a set of tires.) To bad Linda came up empty. That might have been a good alternative.

My favorite jy has had 2 gen 1's in the past 5 months. Good way to upgrade stuff, get fuses and fasteners, and explore the systems. Alas, they recycle batteries and catalytic converters (a $900 assembly!)