1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Want to support Japan?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by reddog345, Aug 26, 2007.

1. reddog345

reddog345 New Member

What is in the topic title and description is what I saw on a billboard in Jesup, GA, from the local Chevy dealer. Then there was another one in another area that suggested good Americans buy American only.

It seems like they are getting desperate. In my opinion though, I don't care where it's made (I have no brand loyalty), as long it is good quality and meets my needs.

Has anybody seen an advertisement like this anywhere, like on TV, for example?

Also, I don't patronize dealers that use this type of advertisement, so even if I were to buy American, it won't be from them.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I saw a bumper sticker something along those lines.

I wanted to say, "you're truck might have come from America, but your oil didn't."

In reality, it was a Ford so it might have been manufactured in Mexico.

3. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Huh. You can buy a Toyota made in Kentucky, Texas, West Virginia, etc.; or you can buy a GM or Ford made in Mexico. Buying which brand is "buying American"?

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i can't believe the new saturn advertising campaign: "rethink american"

that says it all, sadly :(

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that dealer forgot Suzuki and Mazda.

Oh and that the Aveo and Verona are actually Korean.. so uhh.. yeah.

6. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Ya know, last year before I bought the Prius, I was car shopping and looked at most of the small cars out there. We even went to the Ford dealer over Labor Day weekend because they were offering 0% financing for 72 months. The problem was I didn't like any of the cars they had. Sure, a Mustang with 300HP would be fun for a couple of weeks, but I already owned a gas hog; I wasn't looking for another one.

If you really want to be patriotic, cut down on your use of (foreign) oil.

7. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    As others pointed out, the complication of "buying American" for the "American" auto industry is that "buying American" at times means purchasing a car assembled in Mexico with parts made in China. I'd actually consider "buying American" if I were supporting common workers, but with all the offshoring it feels like I'd just be supporting GM/Ford shareholders and overpaid American executives. Frankly, I care very little about either of those two groups.

Really, though, I don't mind globalization as long as the international trade doesn't involve the use of sweatshop labor. The fact that the Prius is made in Japan, where labor standards are very good, makes me perfectly comfortable sending my money overseas to Toyota.

8. n8kwx

n8kwx Member

Arlington Heights, IL - NW Chicago Suburb
    Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Mexico is in America. :p

9. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Aug 26 2007, 06:15 PM) [snapback]502549[/snapback]</div>
    That could also be interpreted to mean:
    RETHINK what is AMERICAN.
    RETHINK you stupid AMERICAN auto makers.
    If you only purchase American made cars . . . RETHINK buying AMERICAN. :huh:

I think this following slogan is only from a local Chevrolet dealer - at least I hope so, considering how lame it is . . .

"Chevy . . . BUY INTO IT!"

10. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Detroit 3 dealers are scum, even more so than lawyers. They'll say anything, do anything to sell cars. They"re a huge factor why I won't even look at Detroit 3 cars any longer.

11. Hobbs

Hobbs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    All countries should, as part of their core principals, have freedom of choice. If your country doesn't make the product that you want, buy elsewhere. If you do this you are supporting one of your countries most fundamental principals.

I would only buy German and Japanese cars.

12. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I will never forget a television advertisement campaign for a radio station where I went to college.
    Three college students walking down the main street, talking and laughing. Conversation quickly turned to radio stations and one mentioned that he used to listen to this one but they really started sucking (seriously, their words). Then the other one said, "oh I listen to them; they don't suck anymore!" (again, their words).
    That was their tagline: "WXXX; they don't suck anymore."

13. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Want to support the US automotive industry, send them a message you want quality cars at reasonable prices. Buy Toyota! This may encourage them to make internationally competative cars. It worked here when we were exporting most of our Monaros and continue to export a large number of Commodores and Statesmans to Saudi and other Middle Eastern countries. Oh and half of Toyota Australia's production is exported.

14. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boulder Bum @ 2007 Aug 26 10:53 PM) [snapback]502629[/snapback]</div>
    If labour laws and environmental protection were the same in every country, we'd never have heard of 'globalisation.'

15. Spoid

Spoid New Member

My Chevy pickup was made in Canada, eh?

16. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patsparks @ Aug 27 2007, 10:16 AM) [snapback]502686[/snapback]</div>
    Sad but true, pat, but they believe that their cars already quality as good as the Japanese. You ought to listen to the clowns in the Detroit 3 around here. They're in serious denial. They think that 30 mpg is high mileage too. Unbelievable. I feel like Alice in Wonderland around here.

17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Aug 26 2007, 09:11 PM) [snapback]502546[/snapback]</div>
    Just last week, I read that some GM cars (though made in Canada) have V6 engine blocks, that are being made in China. I wonder now, if even those U.S.A. flag decals they bandy about on their commercials are made in China. Yea, the whole 'made in the U.S.' thing ... one really has to be simple to buy into that rational.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Aug 27 2007, 05:44 AM) [snapback]502652[/snapback]</div>
    haaeeeey . . . easy there! I smell a steriotype.

18. ditto231

ditto231 New Member

I will buy american made cars and trucks only when they're made good and reliable here in america with american people. For more than 20 years I always drive a chevy or gmc truck until I found out my truck was made in Canada. I thought these trucks are american bread and butter, I never thought of looking or even asking where my truck was made when I bought it. If they hoping to for me to give them money for piece of junk then forget it.

19. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My Tundra was built in Kentucky, how much more american can I get? :lol: :lol: :lol:

20. priussoris

priussoris New Member

I don't remember where I read this but it went like this:
    Any product that had the last part INSTALLED / ASSEMBLED in USA could be labled" made in USA" even if the parts came from overseas.

another thing is food such as " Product of" and then say made in the USA
    here is a link about the food type of made in problems
    http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=1491468