1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Want to test drive a 2010 Prius first

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by FLP, May 9, 2009.

1. FLP

FLP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm a complete newbie who has been lurking and reading everyones posts for a while. I drive a 2000 Accord and I'm thinking about getting a 2010 Prius. Have never kept a car this long, it has low mileage, but due to age is starting to act up and has required several repairs of late. Like what I have read on here and elsewhere about the new Prius. The 2009 are out of the question for me, I'm a short lady and the non adjustable seat makes it uncomfortable and unsafe. Major visibility problem, for me, anyway. When do you think us common folk will be able to test drive a 2010 Prius?

2. Sandy

Sandy Hippi Chick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When the dealers get them, but watch for the line :)

1 person likes this.
  3. Jabber

Jabber Chicagoland Prius Guy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Most are sold before they are hitting the ground. And no dealer will let you take one for a spin if it is a sold car. They may let you sit in it to get a feel for the seating, but that is about it.

1 person likes this.
  4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So probably June will be when you'll see them at the lot (most likely sold). I guess test drives will be available on a dealer-to-dealer basis depending on whether a particular dealership stocks a tester or not.

1 person likes this.
  5. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If there is a shortage, the larger dealers will have a 2010 Prius available this Summer for test drives.

Last Summer, when there was a national shortage of 2008 Prius', Toyota Sunnyvale always kept an 08 package 2 for test drives. ToS kept an orderly list during the shortage, and they did take a refundable $500 deposit to get on the waiting list. They returned my deposit in 1 day after mine came in at another dealer (who didn't require a deposit to get on the waitlist). Mine was a 2 month and 3 week wait to get last Summer.

Look for dealer ratings and reviews in your area. Some dealers are just a cut above while others are not too cool, so look around.

edit 5/10
    What makes a dealer 'not to cool' ? Last June, there was a Toyota dealer 10 miles south from my house - they had a 2008 Prius package 2 with aftermarket heated leather seats and non-Toyota sunroof ..... asking price on window sticker ....

$40,000

(Wish I had photo'd and uploaded the window sticker).

1 person likes this.
  6. Wooski

Wooski New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm in this position also. Excited about what I read on here but there is no way I'm buying until I've had a good look around one and a test drive myself. I may find something I fundamentally don't like. If that means waiting till late summer or the autumn (fall) to get one then so be it.

Once the intial rush and excitment has been satisfied, Toyota are building these cars in such numbers that demonstrators will soon become available. In the UK I would expect them to have fully loaded cars as demo's else how are dealers expecting to entice people to want the snazzy extra's without seeing them in action?

1 person likes this.
  7. FLP

FLP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I will patiently wait for test drives to become available. Fortunately, I live right near one dealership and several others are not too far away. I'm not too sure about their reputations, but I'll quickly learn who is most helpful. I want to purchase a car that I will be comfortable with for a long time. I want to see if the height adjuster improves the visibility enough compared to the 2009s.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wooski, that's true but a higher model also gets more profit so they might stock a base model just so that people can get a feel of the vehicle.

9. BooShine

BooShine Wishful Thinker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Before I was hooked on the 2010, I got a chance to spend some time with a 2009. It was a great driving experience - smooth, quiet and fun. I almost bought it...Unfortunately, now the dealer is bugging me every week, and I've already told them I'm going to wait.

I'd love to drive the 2010 as well, but unless the dealers are holding their early allocations as demo vehicles (unlikely), it won't happen.

10. Midpack

Midpack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I thought I had read that some of the first ones would not be for sale, that dealers were going to use them as demos until they had some inventory. You'd be in a position to know, so I take it the posts about demos were incorrect. Asking because I was going to drive an Insight (the local H dealer has one that is being used only as a demo) and a Prius when they were both on around, fully expecting to buy the Prius.

11. Jabber

Jabber Chicagoland Prius Guy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some dealers do that Midpack. So it is possible that you can drive one. More likely, what dealers were doing last summer was use a TRAC car. That is a car that we use as a service loaner. It is not for sale, but we use it as a demo in the lean months.

I can't imagine dealers holding their first allocation as demos since they won't be getting anymore until the end of June. But, anything is possible...