1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Want to tow Prius on dolly behind motorhome...

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by rscaldwell, Jun 12, 2008.

1. rscaldwell

rscaldwell New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Got the Prius, got the dolly, now I want to hook up the brake/turn lights on Prius so they also work going down the road. My Roadmaster dolly is currently wired to my motorhome with a 4 pin plug, now I want to have the car lights work also. Any ideas?

2. biggus

biggus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I presume the front wheels are clear of the ground !!. Might be no harm to talk to Toyota about extended towing because of brake regen.

3. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No Problem! No regen on rear wheels.

4. rscaldwell

rscaldwell New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks but I'm trying to get the turn signals and brake lights to come on at the same time that they come on for the dolly. My dolly lights work just fine but now I'm trying to get the car's to come on also.

5. hiremichaelreid

hiremichaelreid New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Get the schematics and start digging if you're comfortable with electrics. If you aren't better hire somebody who is.

I'm comfortable with electric poking so I'd just use a voltmeter on the connector pins to figure out how they connect and how to tap them.

Here's another option: I think I saw a "Red Green" episode where duct tape (of course), rope and pulleys were used for something like this, but with remote driving included :eek: :)

6. donalmilligan089

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I bought a wrecked one (2005) and found tha regular tow dollies will not accomadate a prius because of thier wide stance. Had to load it on a trailer

7. rscaldwell

rscaldwell New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've already been towing my 2006 Prius on my Mastertow dolly for over 3000 miles without any issues except that I wanted to avoid putting those 'ugly magnetic lights' on the back of the Prius. I'm sure there is someone out there that can help me make the lights on my Prius work in conjunction with the motorhome and dolly lights.

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've seen the kind of lights that you mount externally on the vehicle being towed before...if it were me I'd use those for the Prius. I'm concerned that on extended drives the small 12v battery might be drained excessively. I know the lights don't use a lot of power, but it might be enough to give you some problems.