1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

want to upgrade my car audio .. no idea where to start

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Audio, Electronics and Infotainment' started by rpT, Mar 21, 2024.

1. rpT

rpT Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Hi guys,

I have the 2023 Limited Prius with 8 speaker JBL. It’s not great imo. I want to replace all the speakers and maybe an amp. Might as well get a high end range like Morel. Thoughts on how much that would cost?

2. soft_r

soft_r Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    What do you feel is missing? Bass not hitting hard enough? Highs not clear?

What is your budget?

From what I know, having the JBL system does add some complication to the aftermarket upgrade process. I don't know the specific details, I came from non-JBL and did my own aftermarket upgrades and it was pretty plug and play (after tweaking crossovers and gains) after I got my extensions done up to intercept the signals in and out of the head unit.

I'd start by reading other people's upgrade journeys in older models, use that as a foundation for what to expect. You searched for jbl - black_jmyntrn

3. rpT

rpT Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    To be honest i’ve been listening to audiobooks a lot and it just sounds crackly and bad

4. soft_r

soft_r Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Yeah you likely don't need to upgrade for that usage case. In fact I'd start by trying to see if ALL audio from different sources (phone, xm radio, fm radio, apple music, etc) has the same issue.

If all sources of audio have some sort of distortion or crackling then you might just have a faulty head unit or amp or something. Because you shouldn't be getting that kind of noise normally.

If other sources are clean and it's just your audio books, then I'd start figuring out how to fix that instead of throwing money and parts at upgrades that may not fix it.