1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wanted: blackout curtains/shades for car camping

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by The MCA, Apr 12, 2017.

1. The MCA

The MCA Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have a 2014 Prius 5 and I do a fair amount of road-tripping and car-camping every year. The car already has maximum tint (20-25%?) all around + Weathertech dark tinted window deflectors, and I use a sunshade for the windshield when camping and/or hiking. It works great when I go to sleep at night, but when I am woken up in the morning by sunrise it's still fairly uncomfortable in a rest stop or big box parking lot to have people seeing into my car.

I want *black* window shades for the interior of the car both for privacy and security, so (1) it's not as obvious when I car-camp in a parking lot overnight while road tripping, and (2) my gear is safer in my car when doing all-day hikes and the car is left in a remote parking lot (i.e. theft is a concern).

Ideally, I'd like a solution that doesn't involve suction cups for each window (again, low profile). The goal is to have a parked car that, apart from the standard silver windshield sunshade, is nondescript and otherwise doesn't draw attention when I'm camping in it overnight. All I've been able to come up with so far is making custom-cut plastic or cardboard inserts for each window that fit snugly enough to stay in place on their own, and wrap each one in a very dark cloth (or spray with some sort of plasti-dip, whichever is less reflective).

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. bathala

bathala Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
  3. d_alpine_m

d_alpine_m Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    They've got a 5% tint

4. The MCA

The MCA Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I meant "maximum tint allowed by law." 5% tint isn't great in the cloudy PNW lol

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Mine are neither black nor luxurious, but also not $169.95. I wandered into the local fabric store and picked up about 2½ yd of an aluminized silver fabric intended for ironing-board covers. I slit that lengthwise down the middle, making two strips long enough and wide enough to hang from the triangle portholes in front to the triangle portholes in back. I hemmed one long edge of each one around some thin plastic strips for stiffness. To put it up, I just shove those stiffened edges in between the headlining and the rubber door frame trim. (A little more stiffening is needed at the ends, to stick out straight over the triangle portholes, beyond where the rubber trim is.)

When I started the project, I was going to be all fancy and cut them in curves to match the roof height, and instead, when I reached the point where they were just hanging down from the roof and covering the windows, I said, "so what if there's extra fabric hanging down front and back, it does what I set out to do," so I went on to another project.

As you can see, it doesn't really darken the cabin in full sun as much as you might want, though it seemed ok at reflecting heat, pretty much like the windshield cover, which is a similar looking fabric. To get darker, I guess you could double it up, or spray it with some kind of pigment, or laminate some kind of foil to it, I don't know.

I need to come up with something better for the rear window. All I was doing was unhooking the cargo cover and hanging the front end higher with some straps to the assist grips. It's not quite long enough though. It did a good enough job blocking visibility for privacy, but still let a lot of light in.

-Chap

[​IMG]

kenmce and kc410 like this.
  6. Nopho4u

Nopho4u Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Just go 5 percent. **** the law a window tint ticket is nothing

7. The MCA

The MCA Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Apart from having already tinted the car, limo tint still wouldn't accomplish what I'm after. I'm a photographer and often edit in my car at night after hiking or driving, so a benefit for true blackout curtains is that the laptop screen glow isn't visible from the cabin. And in terms of privacy in the car, even knowing people can't see *IN* is still kind of uncomfortable changing or waking up when you can see everyone outside..
    I figure I'll probably end up making individual window inserts myself, and storing them in the extra cargo area. Just trying to decide on materials and how to fit them into each window snugly...

8. Yippeekyaa

Yippeekyaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Reflectix cut to fit the windows then take the pieces to a sign shop and have them put black vinyl on the outside. They are lightweight and roll up for easy storage. From the outside of the car it just looks like dark tint. Also makes great sun shields during the day by flipping them around and swapping which side of the car you put them on with the silver facing to the outside. They have the added benefit of insulation which keeps the ICE from running as much. Probably cost under a hundred to do every window.

The MCA likes this.
  9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Vinyl from a sign shop, hey! And I bet they could laminate that to the back side of ironing-board fabric too, as easily as they could to Reflectix. Hmmm....

-Chap

10. The MCA

The MCA Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks, this is just what I was looking for! I'll post up a DIY thread after giving this a shot next week, fingers crossed...

11. Yippeekyaa

Yippeekyaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Have fun and good luck.

12. R1a

R1a New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I made mine. I used blackout curtains and magnets. I sewed the magnets into pockets of the fabric, but without sewing I imagine any kind of fabric that does not ravel could be cut to fit and the magnets used to hold to the window frame.

13. black_jmyntrn

black_jmyntrn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  14. cookprius

cookprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This looks like the perfect product for completely blacking out the windows! Now if they only offered them for the Gen 2 years! I've been searching for a pre-fit option for my 2007. If anyone has a good lead, let me know! =)

15. black_jmyntrn

black_jmyntrn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I feel like I saw them, you might want to reach out to them.

cookprius likes this.
  16. cookprius

cookprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the note. I ended up getting in touch with them and at this time, they're not making them for the Gen 2s but may in the future. I might decide to make my own if I get more serious about the project in general. Cheers, Dan =)

17. gboss

gboss Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Any update on what you ended up building out?

I'm going to do the same thing in the next couple of weeks - I'm just going to cut cardboard to the shape of each window and then sew on fabric or apply black vinyl from Michaels/JoAnns. I don't think Reflectix provides enough value since we all mostly have our front windshield and windows exposed (and the car has temp control). Cardboard should work.

When the weather allows, I'm going to use some window shade socks.

18. tony_2018

tony_2018 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I like the idea for daytime but at night I don't want nobody seeing me up and as a target. I guess I'll do more thinking on this matter...