1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wanted: Light under the bridge

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by boochi101, May 3, 2010.

1. boochi101

boochi101 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Is there any way to add a light under the bridge between driver and passenger so that when a door is open the light comes up?

It is difficult to grab some thing from the tray under the bridge during night time. I think it is very helpful is a light comes when a door is open and also then the dome light swith is pushed to ON.
    Any ideas how to do this or any one who has dome this can post the procedure?

TIA

2. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I like your idea and will watch this thread as I'd like to put a light in the center console. I did some checking and the only "always hot" circuits are in the fuse box under the hood (driver's side high up). I believe fuse #27 controls the door lighting, but I cannot find a way to safely remove the fuse panel to add a new circuit for a center console light and I'm afraid I would also void the warranty.

My concept was to add a new wire (fused) thru the firewall, route it behind the driver's carpeting edge, and then tuck it under the plastic shroud that is between the carpet and the area you mentioned under the sky bridge. From there, it would be easy to get the wire into the console and add a switched light. Theoretically, that same circuit could have an additional light for the area you speak of, or a continuance of the door lighting circuit, but I'm stumped too.

BTW, I searched for the plug for footwell lighting thinking I could add them, but I could not find that wiring either.

3. johalareewi

johalareewi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have used Osram dot-it LEDs to light up those dark corners of the Prius. They have a number of ways to be fitted (magnetic, velcro, sticky pad, screw) and use 3xAAA batteries. Pretty well made and a range of colours.

OSRAM|Consumer|Luminaires|DOT-it & Friends|DOT-it|index

4. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I may add a small battery powered light, I'll havta do some research on the light and where best to mount it.

5. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I recall somebody having done this and posting info a while back. Try a search.

6. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    SMARTHOME.com has :

SYLVANIA DOT-it LED Dimmable Battery Powered Light

Features:
    Battery Powered White, LED, Dimmable (3 settings), push on-off, round, mount with magnet or 3M velcrow tape, White light, and they're water proof.

I bought 4 of them, One for the bridge, two for the rear hatch, one under the hood. Batteries are 4 AA last 100 hours. Should look great, and do the job nicely. Cheap Too !:mod:

7. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I did find it on a search, but it was for a G2. Also, it appeared to be an aftermarket mod and they did not say how the lights worked. I know on the G3s, there is a footwell lamp option, probably on the M IV, which would come on with the door lights.

For proper center console lighting, a driver should be able to get in the car and open the console door and have the light come on via switch - preferably actioned by lifting the lid. This would require an "always hot" line not affected by ACC mode or READY mode.

8. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sylvania's DOT-it dimmable LED Battery Powered lights work well under the bridge. I installed the light completely out of sight. Either a passenger or the driver can easily touch it to turn it on or adjust the light levels and it very adequately lights the bridge tray. I put two more of them in the rear cargo area, and they provide far more light than the dim yellow light the car comes with. No underhood placement was possible.