1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wanted to install new head lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by mrohde, Oct 29, 2007.

1. mrohde

mrohde Junior Member

I asked my local Goodyear dealer to install a pair of 9003SU Silverstar ULTRA capsules that I provided. They came back and said that the capsules in the car were entirely different from the ones that I provided and would not fit. The mechanic said he thought the car had HID lights (although I got the feeling that he really would not recognize an HID if he saw it).

The window sticker on the car said “Multi reflector Halogn auto off headlamps"

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrohde @ Oct 29 2007, 02:12 PM) [snapback]532101[/snapback]</div>
    2005 package 6 has HID.

Just to make sure, in case you got the package number wrong, do you have fog lights? In the U.S. every current generation Prius with fog lights has HID and vice versa.

3. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrohde @ Oct 29 2007, 05:12 PM) [snapback]532101[/snapback]</div>
    I believe that's the description under the heading "Standard Equipment". Anything under that heading should be superceded by similar items listed under the heading "Optional Equipment". My guess is that under "Optional Equipment" you will find that it says "Package #6 Includes ... (HID) ...." Also, as IsrAmeriPrius said, if you have fogs, then you have HIDs.

From what you described, I'm 99% certain that you do in fact have HIDs.

Sorry for any monetary loss you may bear on the Silverstars.

EDIT: If your original lights blew out after 2 years, I think that's unusual. Or if your original lights were HIDs, and you were just unsatisfied with the amount of light they gave off, then something else like the aim or auto-leveling feature of the HIDs may be wrong.

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Why not check and DIY? There is a guide with video how to do it in the Knowledge Base.

5. mrohde

mrohde Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Oct 29 2007, 05:26 PM) [snapback]532112[/snapback]</div>
    The car does have option package 6 and fog lights. So, should I assume that there are no other options in regards to making the headlights brighter?

Thanks

6. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrohde @ Oct 30 2007, 08:38 AM) [snapback]532426[/snapback]</div>
    Your car has Xenon headlights (HID). I doubt that there is anything brighter available on any vehicle which is currently sold in the United States.

Are you sure that your headlights are properly aimed and that the auto leveling system is functioning?

7. mrohde

mrohde Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Oct 30 2007, 06:31 PM) [snapback]532608[/snapback]</div>
    I think that the lights are aimed low. Occasionally I get an error from the headlight pointing system. I complained about this at my last visit to the dealer and they wanted to re-calibrate the system before raising the aim point of the lights. So, this means another trip to the dealer. I have a few friends that have Prius's and they have also complained about the aim point being low. Anyone out there having the same issue?

Thanks!