1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

WANTED Yakima towers & clips for 2005 Prius

Discussion in 'Private Sales' started by JerryCS, Mar 4, 2008.

1. JerryCS

JerryCS Prius camper with trailer hitch

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    58" bars would be okay too, but what I need is a set of 4 Q towers and the Q clips to fit the Prius: #024 and #05. I travel to Minneapolis and Madison regularly. PM or email me with a price.

Thanks, Jerry

2. CMonster

CMonster Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yakima's web site is wrong, the Q5 clips totally don't fit the Prius. If I remember right, you actually need two sets of Q124 clips. I'll try to remember to double-check tonight when I get home.

3. CMonster

CMonster Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yup, Q124 clips for both the front and the back. I'll write to Yakima to try to get them to correct the web site. I forgot to do it when I first dealt with this hassle.

4. JerryCS

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    CMonster,

Thanks for checking! I'm going to pick up a rack soon if I don't find a used one, and I would have bought the Q5 clips. I appreciate getting the benefit of your experience... sorry you got it the hard way though.

Jerry

5. CMonster

CMonster Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Here's Yakima's response to my complaint:
    "We updated the fit for the Prius last year to use the Q5 and the Q124 Clips. The new fit is a bit easier to install the rack onto the car. Either way will work on the car. We couldn't update the existing fit sheets with the new information."

Two possibilities:
    1. They're on drugs.
    2. I had a faulty or mislabeled set of Q5 clips.

The 124s were very easy to fit on the car. The 5s I had were not even close to fitting. I'd be curious to see what your experience is if you compare the 5 and 124 clips. I can't remember what the fit sheet in the 5 box said it fits - I think it was something like Toyota Corolla. Good luck.

6. JerryCS

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks, I think I'll just get 124's and not bother with finding out the 5's don't fit.

Jerry

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You may find the 5s fit the early Prius.

8. kayak_hauler

kayak_hauler New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  9. kayak_hauler

kayak_hauler New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hey,
    I ran into this same problem last week. Bought 5s and 124s per the web. If you check the instructions with the clips, the 5s dont mention the Prius, and the 124s call for front and back. I called, and they said they updated the fit and to use the 5s. I put them on, but am not crazy about the fit on the fronts. The pads kind of hang over the edge onto the secondary plane along the top of the door edge. Has anyone put on the 124s on the front? How do the line up? I have some pics of the 5s, but haven't mastered this chat room yet, I'll try to figure out how to put them in....
    Any info on 124s in the front would be appreaciated, I'm still thinking of returning the 5s....
    SP_A0039.jpg

SP_A0040.jpg
    Jeremy

10. CMonster

CMonster Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The 124s are perfect on the front and the back. I couldn't get the 5s to fit at all. It was like trying to put a square peg in a round hole.

11. kayak_hauler

kayak_hauler New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I actually have a related question. I put the bars on last weekend, but after fighting w/ the fit, I didn't get the wind screen on before dark. With just the bars, I haven't seen much if any drop in mpg. With daylight savings here, I actually got around to putting on the front wind shield Wed., and I think I'm seeing lower mpgs on my highway comute (usually ~70mph if traffic obliges). Anyone else notice a drop off with this? If the trend continues, and I'm not just imagining it, I'll probably remove the wind shield.....

Jeremy