1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wanting to install foglights to 2007 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by toristarz, Oct 29, 2011.

1. toristarz

toristarz New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wanting to install foglights to my 2007 Prius (currently no fogs).. is there anywhere to get cheap OEM's or should I go with aftermarkets? Husband's really good at installing anything :)

2. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Either way is feasible, I had standard halogen fogs, but upgraded to a DDM kit of HID's. Much brighter, and the color temp matches the hid headlamps!
    Mine was a bulb swap out and mount the power supply. If you can find OEM fog assemblies, cheaply, grab them,, ebay is a good source. You could go to the dealer, that's a pricy option. I am sure McMaster05 and F8L will chime, they are the experts on many Gen II upgrades.
    Welcome to the group!

2 people like this.
  3. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    my problem, or should I say the oncoming drivers problem, is they dont seem to focus. I feel the need to change them into something more useful like adjustable pencil beam driving lights.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm definitely not an expert but i'll accept the compliment. :)

Why do you want foglights? I'm just curious because most people think they need them to see the road better but they really only work for truely foggy conditions and only for a very short distance which means you have to drive slowly to not outpace your effective lighting. If you want quality foglights for actual fog then check out the Hella Micro DE. Great light in a little package.

If what you truely want is just better road illumination, especially distance illumination then foglights are a poor choice because they actually reduce distance vision because of their effect on the human eye particularly retinal contraction. In this situation you would be better served with a better headlight or the addition of a driving light or pencil beam light like sidecar mentioned. The only problem with adding a driving light is the only location you can do this on a Prius is in the lower grille area and that will cut your lighting distance down considerably because you always have to aim lights downward to avoid blinding other drivers. Because the added lights are so close to the ground your beams will hit the ground long before a light that was installed higher on the bumper or hood. This is why the best way to improve distance illumination is by upgrading your headlights with projector units. Ever notice that most expensive luxury cars have projectors? Acura TL, Lexus, Honda S2000 etc. run high quality projectors.

If your husband is good with tools then have him look into doing a projector retrofit like some of us have done. It's not hard but is scary the first time. You can always choose to have it done professionally but it would cost an extra $400-$500 on top of the $110 for the projectors and $30 for bulbs. You can install projectors yourself for under $200 including the HID kit. The lighting difference is literally night and day vs. factory Genii HIDs and if you have factory halogens well, i'm sorry. lol

5. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Riff Raff likes this.