1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wanting to Upgrade my Speakers- Need Help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by jrod81, Jun 18, 2009.

1. jrod81

jrod81 Member

hey guys,
    i have an 06 with the JBL and navigation. i would like to look into changing out the speakers because i am hearing a crackle when listening to my ipod. i assume this means the speakers are blown or something (though it does not do it with the radio, only the ipod).
    anyway, i am wanting to upgrade but spend very little to do so. i like my music but it doesn't need to be anything unbelievable at all! what is the simplest way to do so? the door tweeters seem to be the worst, so i'd like to start with them.
    jared

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It doesn't sound like the speakers are the problem, especially if they work fine with the radio. Even replacing just the deck, which would give you cleaner sound and better iPod integration, would cost several hundred dollars. You can upgrade to much better earbuds for less than $50 - maybe try listening to your iPod that way. :)

3. jrod81

jrod81 Member

thanks for that link but i already found that... it is not a high hissing noise as that bulletin states, but a crackling in the speaker

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it doesn't do it during AM/FM or CD playback then it has nothing to due with your speakers. It is either the iPod itself, the volume settings between the iPod output and the stereo output (bad level matching), the wire connecting the iPod to the stereo, or the AUX input. Crackling noises are often heard with bad connections. Wiggling wires at or before the input area is an easy way to listen for this.

Easy to check:

• Reduce volume on the iPod and turn up volume on stereo and see if this reduces or eliminates crackling.
    • Borrow or purchase a new AUX wire from the iPod to stereo. Sometimes these cable are faulty.
    • Try someone elses iPod