1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Warm Air Intake - Icreased Winter MPG - Insight 1

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Hank101, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Hank101

Hank101 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am a former Insight 1 owner, and a common mod for improving winter MPG was to reroute the air intake to the exhaust manifold and "scavenge" warm air. This would restore most/all of the lost cold-weather-related MPG, if done correctly.

I am not sure if this would be applicable to our cars, simply sharing an old trick.

F8L likes this.
  2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It could help but you would still suffer losses due to increased tire rolling resistance, longer warmup times, denser air, cold lube etc.. It is a useful mod though and in addition to other small mods you can make a significant difference. :)

Some folks used to use insulation to help the engine retain heat. I think Efusco used to do this.

3. 13Plug

13Plug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think all new vehicles should have that heat recovery sort of system, I remember it on the old carbureted vehicles back from like the 70s and 80s, I'm sure it helped a little bit. Up in these parts where it gets below -30 C in the winter it would help warmup times...