1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Warm ICE staying on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by jimgraffam, Nov 16, 2005.

1. jimgraffam

jimgraffam New Member

The very last part of my commute home involves a 0.5 mile climb up a steep hill at 25-30 mph followed by about a 1 mile of downhill or relatively flat surface.

Just slightly before the crest of the hill I attempt to go stealth or electric only. So far this week, I've been able to do so but the ICE is staying ON (argg) and hits the mpg pretty severely since I expect that I should be able to be 0% ICE the rest of the way home.

The FAQ refers to forcing the ICE off at a stop but this is not my scenario. Any thoughts from the forum? Many thanks.

2. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How warm is it at that point? If you're running the heater, it
    may not even matter since the ICE tends to stay on more to provide
    that. You could try turning the heater off [fan "off" button] just
    before you reach the top of your hill.
    If you have the luxury/safe space to stop briefly after your climb,
    you could come to a halt long enough to force that "5-second-delayed
    shutdown" thing that usually gets you back in stage 4, and then
    gently keep going on electric. Traffic permitting.
    _H*

3. jimgraffam

jimgraffam New Member

Thanks, hobbit. This is after about 30-35 minutes of mostly highway followed by 3-5 minutes of local traffic.... today all in 60 deg weather... no heater.

There is a point at the bottom of the hill where I could go full-stop at a stop sign (always a good idea :) ) if I chose my route insignificantly differently.

I probably should not complain since I'm still averaging just shy of 53 mpg through a week of mostly highway... but I'm hungery for MORE!

4. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I agree that the heater or defroster is a likely culprit. Turning the climate control 'off' may solve it.

And remember, if you brake to a stop in "B" mode, then move to Neutral then Drive, you can force an engine shutdown immediately without having to wait for the 5-10 second timeout.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, first of all the mpg hit is going to be very very tiny. The ICE idles at about 900rpm when you're coasting (green arrows) and uses almost no fuel to do so...though it certainly uses some.

Second, sometimes it'll just stay on to piss you off. I can't always account for why it stays on or shuts off in various situations.

You could try actually giving a little gas after you level off then try feathering the pedal....may help 'encourage' a shut off.

Finally, if it bugs you enough and you drive this daily, install and EV button and just shut off the ICE manually. It's an ideal condition.

6. jimgraffam

jimgraffam New Member

I'm sure this must be the case... especially today when I had hoped to silently skulk by my neighbors gathered at the bus stop and show off my new Prius... and instead the ICE was on :(

7. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I agree with Efusco there are times with a fully warmed up engine (I check with a ScanGage) when you can not get it to stop. I have not figured it out. For a while I thought it happened on very slight inclines, but that is not it. Some bit of programing that still needs to be figured out. I will try the B Neutral Drive trick. The problem it never lasts very long 2-3 Min then back to normal function.

8. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If the problem is that the engine won't shut of with 'feathering' at realtively low speeds, try this.

Run it up to 35-36 mph for just a second, then lift off the gas completely. You may find it immediately shuts off, then you can drop your speed back down and stealth along.

I don't know why, but it seems to re-enter stage 3 or something. It won't be completely cured until you do the full stop and let it shutdown normally, but you can induce it to shut off somewhat.

I find this usually occurs when I've been stealthing on and off a lot, as in stop and go traffic. At some point, it decides to stay on. It's almost like it decides it needs another warmup cycle.

But, once I get the speed up to 35-36, it seems willing to cut off again.

(shrug)

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have at least 2 places on my normal commute where I frequently have the ICE remain on for reasons I simply can't explain. It isn't EVERY time, but it's more than 50% of the time and everywhere else on the route I can consistantly get into ICE-off glide when I want to. Like I said, I think it's just to piss me off.

10. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Does the ScanGage only measure coolant temp? Maybe there's something else (Catalytic Converter?) that the Prius wants to keep warm. It's such a contrary beast sometimes.

11. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Is it the same direction each time, or both directions?

Take a marble to that spot, drop it on the road, and see if it rolls the way you expect it to.

Everywhere I've ever lived there's been a road somewhere that the locals claim is 'haunted'.

The normal story is that someone was pushing or pulling something up the hill when they died, and if you go there and put your car in neutral, the ghost will come and push your car 'uphill'.

The trick is that it's an optical illusion. The direction your eyes think is downhill is really uphill. It can be quite steep depending on the quality of the illusion.

The traditional use for these spots is to take your date there, tell them the story, demonstrate, and then 'comfort' them, much like you do when they jump into your arms in a horror movie.

Of course, since everyone knows about the spot, and everyone goes there, it's a pretty sure bet that theres some faking involved in the jumping, but then it's the same at horror movies right? :)

12. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The ScanGage does a limited amount of things and is quite generic. I have looked at %power, gallons/hour, engine rpm, I think I can get air intake temp but can not get the catalytic converter temps. I have often wondered about this. How quickly can the converter cool off. I know that coolant temps can drop fast early in the warm up cycle, so you can get a good glide then the temp drops and it is tough until the engine heats up. The more I learn the more I need to know.

13. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yo like those "gravity houses" that are road side attractions. I know I have one area on my regular commute that appears to be up hill that is either flat or down hill because I always get a great glide on that strech

14. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

These are downhill areas...I accelerate downhill even if I push the EV button when the ICE refuses to shut off automatically. It's 2 main locations only on my homeward bound direction. Both are after stop signs and then down hill glides shortly after starting off. Some of the issue probably has to do with the short amount of time after accelerating from the stop...the HV 'expects' me to keep accelerating and, thus, doesn't shut off. But that doesn't account for the times I do the same thing in different areas with instant ICE off after feathering.

My Dyno-scan does show 2 Catalytic converter temps, and those are not factors. They heat up quite quickly and maintain temp throughout the trip.