1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Warning about the bumper "protector"

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by RaZa, Apr 17, 2012.

1. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Warning about the bumper "protector" film

A word of advice... Incompetent service people that install them will use razor blades to remove the bubbles that are left from their inadequate skills in applying the film. I now have to have the bumper on my brand new car repaired from all the gouges put in it from the installation of the very film that is supposed to protect it. Yay! I'll never have a film of any kind installed on a paint job ever again.

2. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a lot of marks on my bumper from stones. I was going to get my bumper painted and then have the film put on. The body shop told me there is a 90 day period for the paint to cure before they can install the film.

If you force the dealer to paint your bumper you will not be able to put a film on for 90 days. Over those 90 days you will get dings unless you decide not to drive the car. Or as you posted never have film installed again. I am sure someone that installs the film all the time can do it right.

3. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Oh I'm sure someone that knows how to do it right can do it right. I was also sure that it would have been done right when I had it installed at the dealer. I was wrong.

BTW, you have marks on the top side of your bumper from stones? I don't see how this is possible unless you were to drive backwards behind dump trucks hauling loose gravel :confused:

4. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I did my own without problems or the need to poke holes in the film to remove bubbles.

5. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am sorry I completely read your post wrong. You left out a few key words.

A lot of people get a PROTECTIVE film on their FRONT bumper. This stops it from getting marks from stones.

It sounds like you had a DECROTIVE film on your REAR bumper. This is strictly cosmetic.

The more detail you provide the more people can understand your situation.

6. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OP, instead of repainting the whole rear bumper, why not just get the hard plastic bumper protector?

7. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's an eyesore, especially on Blizzard Pearl. Not really necessary unless you load and unload heavy or damaging stuff all the time for work, etc.

Anyway, this bumper applique is more cosmetic than protection. I've been rear-ended twice and the body shop installed it each time with no problem. I'd take it to a body shop rather than have the dealer do it. Body shops obviously have the experience and know what to do.

8. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah,

I too would take it to a body shop with a good reputation on account that the dealer damaged it. If you can get the dealer to allow that, I might consider taking them to small claims court.

9. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The dealer will make good on it. Not sure how yet, but they will definitely take care of it. I'm just very annoyed with the fact that I paid a lot for a new car, and even more for a (yes cosmetic) rear bumper protector, which resulted in someone taking a razor blade to the paint. I wonder how that person would feel the next time he buys a new car and I charged him $100 to put razor nicks in his bumper. I'm just annoyed is all.

It will be fixed, but I don't like that I have to get it fixed at all. Sometimes the fixes themselves are just added problems. Hoping it turns out ok...

10. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Sorry didn't mean to snap, I'm just annoyed and anxious about the situation. The rear bumper film is not 100% cosmetic, it does serve to protect the top portion of the bumper, but yes it's there to more look cool than be functional. I never would have agreed to having it installed if I thought for even a second someone would be poking and slicing my bumper with razor blades. Oh well live and learn I guess.

11. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Raza, yes I hope the fix goes well.

If the dealer did it, then it should be taken care of.

BUT, that is what small claims court is for.

I am putting on a rear bumper top protector.
    This is for actual use...saving from scratches.
    My son puts his saxophone in there twice a week and I want to be sure to
    save from scratches, etc.
    I have a '10 Scion xB that I did not put it on, and I pulled out a heavy shelf
    and left a nice burr/scratch on it that wouldnt be there if I put on it.

The Prius C rubber rear bumper protector cost me a whopping $60 from ebay.

12. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I am surprised and sometimes, "NOT" surprised as to the lacasaysical attitude that some businesses take, when it comes to customer service.

I would NOT count on this dealer's ability to make it right "in house."

Businesses that work on this type of model deserve to fail.

I'd take it to the best custom shop in town, and then send the dealer the "bill."

If they refuse to pay, I see them in court and get a judgement against them.

13. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    It is all about speed -- sad to say ...... you would think that the dealer would be the best place to have this done.

They do the same thing with the silly trim that is installed on the wheel wells --- they cut it on the car ....same for the stripes.

14. sprtent

sprtent Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I installed this myself with no bubbles and without the use of razor whatsoever.

I suppose those tinting services are the best place to install this.

15. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Mine was installed by Southeast Toyota, including window tinitng, a full set of carpeted floor mats, clear door edge protection, and other "protection package items." That added $898 to the selling price of the car.

I was fortunate to buy my "v" on Superbowl Sunday, when business was really slow. I got all of that stuff for "FREE" and still got $460 off of factory MSRP.

Not bragging, I just consider myself very fortunate. They had the car for two weeks on the showroom floor. Now, they sell right off of the truck for MSRP and more.