1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Warning beep when you get out of the Prime...

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Insighter, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    What all can a long warning beep mean when you get out of the Prime? I know that if you get out and try to lock your doors with the sensor on the exterior handle while leaving an electronic key inside the Prime, you get a long beep.

But I'm getting one when I get out of the Prime sometimes, with the door still open (before I even try to lock the doors). What would cause that?

Thanks

Dudley1030 likes this.
  2. VVTiBob

VVTiBob Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Mine does it when I forget to power off the car. In other words, I stop and put the car in park, get distracted by something, then forget to press the power button to power off the car. But when I get out and try to lock it, long beep.

#2 VVTiBob, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    Insighter likes this.
  3. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Maybe that's it. It seemed like it wasn't when it happened earlier, but maybe it was. I do the same thing sometimes.

4. benagi

benagi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I get short beep, when opening the door after shutting off the car with a window down. Not a problem, just a nice reminder.

Insighter likes this.
  5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Short beep on GIII as well with the sunroof open. No beep with the side windows open though.

Insighter likes this.
  6. Dudley1030

Dudley1030 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Has happened numerous times to me with my Prius Prime Advanced and my Camry Hybrid. It's always something I forgot to turn off or close or something. Without a running ICE I have not turned it off or left it in Drive and pushed the "off" button. We've left a key fob in a purse in the car. We/ve left a purse with a fob in it inside the trunk. All these things will cause the car to buzz, beep, ding or simply annoy you until you figure out what you forgot to do or didn't do. :):(:confused::p:eek::rolleyes:o_O:cautious::LOL:(y)(n)

You can lock the car with a fob inside the car if you use a second fob.

7. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes, that last bit, being able to lock a fob inside the car, is an intentional feature. You can also lock an electronic key fob in the Prime using a mechanical key. Either way, when you do so, the Prime ignores the electronic key fob left in the car until you press a button on the fob. That is so you can leave your electronic key fob in the car (well hidden) and leave with only your mechanical key (if, for instance, you're at the beach).

This can become problematic if you get an alarm with passive arming because, if you leave your electronic key in the car and the alarm then passively locks the doors, you will be locked out of your car.

8. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In addition to the warning beep, the screen/display should also show the reason...

Dudley1030 and Insighter like this.
  9. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I got a different strange beep today. I got out of my Prime, locked the doors by touching the sensor on the exterior door handle. I got the expected, usual short beep, but then, a about two seconds later, I got another short beep. This was not the long beep you get when you leave your electronic key in the car. It was not the beep you get when you leave a door open. It was a short beep. I searched the owners manual, and couldn’t find anything about a second, short people like this.

Does anyone know what this could be?

It wasn’t the two quick beeps you get when you unlock the car. There was too much of a time interval between them. I was able to get this behavior to repeat a second time. I did not leave any doors open, my key was not left in the car, and the car was not left on.

10. AnneLW

AnneLW Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Is there any way to turn off the "window open" beep? I'm going to be leaving my windows open a slit from now until monsoon season.