1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

WARNING! Coggin Toyota in Jacksonville, FL = CROOKS!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Matt W., Aug 14, 2023.

1. Matt W.

Matt W. New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Public service announcement to all 2nd Gen. Prius owners in the Jacksonville, FL region:

The service department at Coggin Toyota of the Avenues is run by incompetent crooks.

Paid $2,996.14 to have the brake actuator replaced on my 2006 Prius. Drove home with honking (yes honking) brakes, clicking/buzzing noises just a loud as the failing 17 year old actuator, and an obvious lack of pressure & resistance when depressing the brake pedal.

The 'service advisor' at Coggin told me not to worry, that all those sounds were normal, and a change in brake pedal resistance is normal. I kid you not, the brakes are f-ing honking and the service advisor thinks it's just fine. You don't need to be a master mechanic to know that brakes shouldn't honk.

If you're a 2nd Gen. Prius owner in the northeast Florida region, I highly advise you avoid the service department at Coggin Toyota of the Avenues. They'll take your money, as much as they can steal from you, and send you home with unsafe, broken brakes.

Drive safe and remember to keep your distance from Coggin Toyota in Jacksonville, FL.

SFO and bisco like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for the heads up Matt!
    I hope you get it straightened out

3. ski.dive

ski.dive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    RULE #1=Never take your PRIUS to the dealer

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I wouldn’t tar them all with the same brush, but yeah minimize your visits, take whatever they say with caution, comparison shop.

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Most likely they did a very poor job of bleeding the brakes after the installation. It may now have air in the master cylinder and stroke simulator..

I've done 3 of these in the last couple months. Two were using "salvage" units and one was using a new unit. As odd as it seems, the only one I had any issue at all with was the new one. After test driving the car for a couple days (owner was from other side of state and dropped the car off for week or so) it developed a very small squeek (like a baby mouse) at low speed (~5-7mph) seemingly where the brakes transition to mechanical. After much bleeding, finally got a bubble to come out from the front driver brake while going through the bleeding sequence for the third time.

Your brakes should be very very very quiet.

#5 TMR-JWAP, Aug 15, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2023
    bisco likes this.