1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Warning for buyers

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Bob Hahn, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Bob Hahn

Bob Hahn Wingman08

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just bough a new 2013 Prius. I bought the package 4! Leather, rear view camara, electric seat, And the navigation system. Well, it is a fabulous car, I love it beyond belief, the most pragmatic vehicule I have ever owned and believe me at 54 I have owned a lot.
    Now for the painful news. The navigation (GPS) is antiquated, unfriendly, very expensive and fell way below expections. The main issue is the poor ability to give basic voice commands, and the poor graphics displayed on the screen. For it to operate with any real usefulness most commands have to be done manually.
    How impractical is that? Go home and end route are two commands I use most! I just can't imagine Toyota wants me taking my eye off the road to end my route, is a good idea. My Garmin only requires me to say the command! Again $1000s of $$$$$ and an antiquated GPS. Now that upsets me. Other very useful features missing are speed limits and current speed, compass setting and customized viewing options. The very unfriendly voice commands, poor graphics, and it costs 10X what a Garmin with all that and more is available for under $200. So I will now get to stick my Garmin up on the dashboard again, as for the Toyota GPS if I could I use it as a $2000 boat anchor.
    Well, maybe they will provide an update that resolves all this, okay I'm holding my breath!

Direwulff likes this.
  2. rcf@eventide.com

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Don't worry about taking your eyes off the road. The display in the base PiP, at least, is so bad that the street names are unreadable all the time, and most of the rest is unreadable in sunlight. No point in even looking at it! Some of the problems could be fixed in software, but I've been holding my breath a lot longer than you have with no result.

Richard

sweetie and Bob Hahn like this.
  3. Direwulff

Direwulff Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I also find the Nav to be horrid. Very clumsy to enter information, voice commands not well supported, inaccurate location information. The free google maps turn by turn on my android phone is FAR superior and its free. The main problem is they force you to get the nave in order to get other features like Entune... so you really don't have a reasonable option to not get it.

Bob Hahn likes this.
  4. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah it's awful. Is it just me or does the NAV not auto zoom? My 10 year old Garmin zooms and unzooms depending on your speed. This piece of garbage forces me to manually press the zoom buttons as I enter and exit the freeway. This seems like a basic functionality.

The forced smart phone Entune for local searches renders this NAV worthless to me after the 3 free years are up. No way I am paying a monthly fee for a a substandard NAV that works no better than a $150 Garmin I can buy right now. That means the old Gen2 NAV is better than this garbage.

Bob Hahn likes this.
  5. Bob Hahn

Bob Hahn Wingman08

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You are absolutely correct most of the time it doesn't zoom, also it is not clear which lane I should be in, very frustrating. I rely on the correct lane highlight feature,
    especially in heavy traffic and around the belt ways or in the city high way system

6. retneprac

retneprac Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    We have had the 2012 Prius 4 for 3 months and use our nav system as the primary system for travel now. It's somewhat unfriendly to enter destinations - but seems to navigate clearly and accurately. Huge screen that doesn't fall off the dash or move around every time you make a turn, or need charging all the time. Or need storage someplace. Toyota also made it easy to switch between audio and nav. So we like it. We're about to transfer our best Garmin Nuvi to our other car and give away an older Nuvi spare. I don't know if I'd like it as much if I felt I paid $1,000 for it, but we just paid a lot for the car and got a great car.
    We're in Vermont and temps last week were in the 20's and 30's F and we got over 50 MPG on all of our trips, including one from Stowe to Middlebury that was over 60 mpg. (no grille blocking). Our lifetime mpg is 52. Very, very happy with the car.

Cliff

Scargod and OceanEyes like this.
  7. Direwulff

Direwulff Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have had issues with accuracy. Not every time for sure but I think i have around 9k miles on my car and 3 times so far it has taken me to the wrong spot by about half a mile. I then had to use my android phone device to get me that last important bit. Once you get burned a few times you get a bit worried to trust it. Ironically i think the best nav is the FREE google maps on phones. Apple just had to go back to using them as well due to issues with their attempt at a map program. I think the biggest issue they need to fix though is the horrible entry feature. you should be able to just type street and city without specifying a zip code like on all other gps I have used

Bob Hahn likes this.
  8. Bob Hahn

Bob Hahn Wingman08

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Cliff you stated : Toyota also made it easy to switch between audio and nav
    Can you enlighten, educate or teach me how to do that hands free?
    I could not agree more the Prius is simply a great, state of the arts, cutting edge car, too bad the nav didn't hold up its part.

9. Bob Hahn

Bob Hahn Wingman08

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Notified Toyota corporation of my concerns or complaints yesterday, they told me they understood the issue, they agreed with the concern and were going to the simulator to look for answers. Well it's now 30 hours later and I had to call them back. They acknowledged the issue and lack of follow up, that they were still investigating possible answers and will call me today before closing time. I'm waiting with bated breath.

10. Direwulff

Direwulff Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I too advised toyota on some of the issues with the nav. They gave me what felt like a canned response. hope you get better luck.

Bob Hahn likes this.
  11. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I found on my C (somewhat counter-intuitively) that turning the contrast all the way down helped quite a bit.

Bob Hahn likes this.
  12. Direwulff

Direwulff Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I know that is one thing that works fairly well. If you are playing the radio you can just stay on the nav screen. It will show radio functions along the top of the nav screen. You can even use the entune with pandora at the same time. If you are on nav and want to thumb up or thumb down you just hit apps/pandora make the change then hit maps again.

Bob Hahn and retneprac like this.
  13. Bob Hahn

Bob Hahn Wingman08

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Once more I want to emphasize again and again, to smash home the idea that I think my 2013 Toyota Prius is the most pragmatic, well though out, engineered in my life time. I really like the car it is the $$$ I spent on the spiff city GPS that has me wigging out.

Chris S and Direwulff like this.
  14. Direwulff

Direwulff Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    completely agreed I LOVE my car. only 2 gripes are the GPS which I would have opted out for if I could and the Entune software which I have now bypassed. if you look at the reviews on entune downloads in android store they are .... not positive to be kind. ( which on an off topic reminds me. If anyone is having trouble with entune dropping connection frequently and/or draining battery power on your phone there is a workaround to eliminate the need to run the sw on your phone that has helped me out a lot. Can only be done on a Verizon phone since that is the only settings I know.)

Bob Hahn likes this.
  15. Bob Hahn

Bob Hahn Wingman08

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Perhaps I have a different system, or don't have some setting right, or ( he says humbly) I just am just wrong. I will make sure mine doesn't have that and I somehow didn't see it. I will make amends for my posts if that is the case.

retneprac likes this.
  16. Adam Leibovitch

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I prefer to use 2d maps setting at 0.5 mile scale.

17. Bob Hahn

Bob Hahn Wingman08

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Do you like the Prius NAV as much as the Garmin? Did your Garmin have the speed limit and alarm, compass, voice control, features?

18. Bob Hahn

Bob Hahn Wingman08

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well that is worth a try, disappointing if that is the answer to better navigation, again the Garmin had a fantastic zoom in 3D. Lane assist was very clear, and maybe this does too and I'm just not set up right, but I did spend time trying to resolve it, maybe I'm just still missing some option, I hope so.

19. Adam Leibovitch

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yea, the Garmin will always be better. I use mine mostly as a map and with those settings you can make out the main roads from the side streets, and see enough map to gain your bearings by recognizing parks and unique shaped intersections.

Bob Hahn likes this.
  20. retneprac

retneprac Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The garmin has a lot of stuff that the Prius Nav doesn't have. Esp. the speed limit. But - having the Nav in one place, and not falling off and running out of battery and requiring cords is worth the missing features, to me. I know thats just me - but I really hate the wires, having to afix it to go anywhere, and hiding it when we reach the destination, and then setting it up again. Oh yeah it finds the satellites a lot faster.