1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Warning Light - Engine Oil

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by homerj742, Oct 16, 2007.

1. homerj742

homerj742 New Member

I received a warning light this morning. It kept going on and off, it didn't stay consistently on. Upon arriving at my location, I checked the manual and it said that it was either

Low Engine Oil, or Low Oil Pressure (DO NOT DRIVE or it will ruin the engine).

I have the Platinum Warranty (100k).

Question is, should I have it towed to the dealer? Will they try to rip me off even though it is under warranty?

Any advice, or past experience stories would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Of course you should have it towed to a dealer. What else are you going to do with it? Powering it up even one more time could indeed destroy the engine.

3. drifty1955

drifty1955 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(homerj742 @ Oct 16 2007, 10:38 AM) [snapback]526326[/snapback]</div>

I'm very new to this forum but I read about so many people who see warning lights and continue to drive.....until bad things happen in a big way. From what little I know of this car when you get a warning light pull over and check it out. When this car throws a trouble code its not kidding. Warranty does not cover running the car with no or low oil. Your Platinum covers free towing. I hope you didn't run your motor out of oil as Toyota might not honor your warranty. You never posted if you checked the oil?

4. homerj742

homerj742 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Drifty'sDad @ Oct 16 2007, 10:54 AM) [snapback]526340[/snapback]</div>
    I got an oil change 2000 miles ago, from a Midas shop. I still have the receipt...

5. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(homerj742 @ Oct 16 2007, 07:38 AM) [snapback]526326[/snapback]</div>

Pull the dipstick and make sure the oil level is between the two dimples in the dipstick. If not, add oil to bring it up to that level.

If the oil level is low, look on the underside of the engine for oil leaks, particularly the oil filter which is located next to the air conditioning compressor (the A/C compressor has an orange cable running to it). If you see leaks, don't drive it very far without getting it fixed.

If the oil level was ok, then have the car towed to the dealer where they can check the oil pressure with an external gauge.

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    whatever the problem with the oil system is, if the engine isn't getting enough it WILL die. best to not drive it.

now if it's somehow the fault of the oil change place, you'll have to take it up with them because that's not on the dealer's/toyota's tab. but if something internal has failed not due to abuse/neglect, the warranty will pick it up.

7. homerj742

homerj742 New Member

Thank you for the information dogfriend, I will check everything as soon as I get home from work!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Oct 16 2007, 02:11 PM) [snapback]526447[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the insight, I will keep that in mind when the dealer takes a look at it...

that brings up another question, best to take it to the dealer, or back to the place that did the oil change?

The car had 30K when I bought it, got the oil change at 35K, and now at 37K I got this warning light...

8. fairclge

fairclge Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(homerj742 @ Oct 16 2007, 02:16 PM) [snapback]526450[/snapback]</div>
    keep us posted please... I would like to know if the oil level was low do to the tech. :blink:

9. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd take it to a dealer first for diagnosis. The oil change place might try to cover up. (Of course, having read too many horror stories about monkeys and weasels working at oil change places, I would not use one in the first place.)

Just to re-enforce this: since you have already gotten the warning light, don't turn it on again until it has been diagnosed. Have it towed, don't drive it.

10. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    From past experience (Honda Civic) driving a short distance with the oil warning light can lead to tragedy. Prius may be different, but caution seems appropriate here.

Other Prius system warning lights do indeed get 'driven on' with no ill effects in many instances. But that oil light is a different matter. Anyway, I'm glad you saw it because it is not quite 'alarming' enough for my tastes.

11. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What was the oil level?? 10 seconds to check that on the side of the road and you could potentially add a quart or two and move on without dealing with the tow/dealer/etc. Any oil dripping on the ground/floor of the garage?

Yes, I think the ultimate thing is going to be that you need the dealer to check this out, but this is one of the few things that popping the hood can actually give you a bit of useful information without any fancy testing tools, dealers, etc.

12. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As the Good Doctor wrote, you might as well check the oil yourself before doing anything else. But I suggest if it is low *don't* add oil, as that will only confuse the situation. I would not turn it on until it has been diagnosed. The risk is too great. Have it towed to a dealer for diagnosis, because whether there is oil in it or not you still need to find out why the warning light went on.

13. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Oct 17 2007, 07:37 AM) [snapback]526826[/snapback]</div>
    If it is low on oil, I don't see how it is going to confuse the situation by adding oil. You could simply tell the tech that you added X amount of oil.

My thinking on this is that the most likely scenario is that the oil level is low, probably because the oil filter or drain plug is leaking. It would be really unusual for an engine with only 37k miles to have a bad oil pump.

14. homerj742

homerj742 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dogfriend @ Oct 17 2007, 10:58 AM) [snapback]526842[/snapback]</div>
    Checked it right before the tow came. Oil was everywhere and the oil cap was missing.

Toyota said Midas left the cap off and now they have to clean up + add oil. Total cost $175

My question is, why did it take 2,000 miles for the light to come on? I would think it would come sooner?

15. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(homerj742 @ Oct 17 2007, 08:17 AM) [snapback]526857[/snapback]</div>
    It took 2,000 miles for enough oil to spray out of the oil fill to bring the level down where the light came on. The light doesn't know that the cap is off, it only knows when the pressure is not sufficient.

I wouldn't take it back to Midas.

16. homerj742

homerj742 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dogfriend @ Oct 17 2007, 11:22 AM) [snapback]526862[/snapback]</div>
    Never again!
    Well except for when I pay them a visit about what happened.

17. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It doesn't need to be cleaned up. It might be nice but does not need to be done. A rag and just about any cleaner (I'd rcommend simple green or WD-40 or brake parts cleaner) would do a majority of the cleaning also.

18. homerj742

homerj742 New Member

Was this more my fault or should Midas take responsibility?

19. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(etyler88 @ Oct 17 2007, 01:26 PM) [snapback]526951[/snapback]</div>
    if midas is paying? it NEEDS to be done ;) they've gotta pay for the tow in anyway. and they will. you've got to be a complete idiot to leave the fill cap off.

i walked past an oil fill cap laying near a curb the other day... that was pretty disturbing.

20. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well....it's really Midas fault, but...you should lift up the hood and check things out anytime you get work done on your car, no matter how simple, for just this reason.