1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Warning light looks like side profile of car flashes when car is off

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mycophile2, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Mycophile2

Mycophile2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just given this car (2004) and noticed that when the car is off a warning light is flashing about every 1.5 seconds. It flashes so briefly it is hard to recognize but looks like a side view of the car. Can find no mention of this warning light in the manual. About to take a cross country trip so am freaking out a bit. Any ideas? I know little about the Prius. Any help would be appreciated. Will try to include a photo if I can time it right. Thanks all.

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When the car is off and locked, the only flashing light should be the immobilizer indicator. Think of it as similar to the blinky lights of car alarms, warning thieves that the car has some protection installed.

It is more eye candy than anything else. Some aftermarket items are even just simple blinky lights, fakes just to make passersby think it is alarmed.

On my newer model, the light shape represents a padlock.

3. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Do you mean this? It flashes red BTW.
    upload_2018-11-27_21-14-45.png
    It is listed in the owners manual.

1) Start by reading the owners manual, COVER to COVER, and SLOWLY. If the car does not have one, download it from Toyota.com.
    2) Can you DIY any repairs? You come across as someone who doesn't work on cars (oil change, brakes, suspension, etc).
    3) I don't recommend you take this Prius cross country b/c I am assuming this is a high mileage Prius and it seems like you don't DIY. If you can DIY, the equation changes slightly. If the car is on the original HV (High Voltage) battery, and the Prius is high mileage Prius (200K+ miles), definetly NO. If the original HV battery was replaced w/ a used/rebuilt or repaired via module swap, ABSOLUTELY NO. If the HV battery was replaced w/ a new OEM or 2k1Toaser's cylindrical Prius HV battery alternative, then YES, even if you can't DIY.

4. Mycophile2

Mycophile2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank all. It is Immobilizer. I can handle DIY and will check on battery replacement ASAP before considering journey.

5. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Another part to consider replacing now is the Inverter pump. They last a long time as you can see from this post: Inverter pump life? | PriusChat
    Just figure out when the current one was installed to see if it might be time.

See Post#11 for OEM HV battery pricing online. Remember, no one ships the battery due to cost, so you will have to see if a local dealer will price match or come down from their asking price. You will also have to make sure the dealer will sell to you.
    Indianapolis area battery repair? | PriusChat

There is 2k1Toaser cylindrical option too. NewPriusBatteries