1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Warning light on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by zzyzx, Aug 10, 2006.

1. zzyzx

zzyzx Junior Member

The yellow ((!)) light was on today on my commute into work. I can't call the dealership for another hour or so. What kinds of things cause that? Should I be concerned that my brand new car already has a major problem?

2. zzyzx

zzyzx Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zzyzx @ Aug 10 2006, 06:18 AM) [snapback]300748[/snapback]</div>

Never mind; it was the tire pressure light. I didn't turn the page in the manual to see that. Now to figure out how to correctly gauge my tire pressure.

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I was just gonna post that... head to your local auto parts store (preferably in someone elses car - it's bad to drive on a flat/low tire). they should have tire pressure gauges there for under 10 bucks. FWIW, i prefer the digital ones, and have had one stashed in every car i've owned since day one. I also keep a portable air compressor in the car. i believe it was 20-30 bucks, and plugs into the outlet in the car. It also has an integrated flashlight and warning flasher, should you be pulled over with a flat at night.

anyways, the gauges are real easy to use - just remove the cap on the tire, and push the gauge in, it'll give you a digital reading of the pressure. you can then pump it up to where you want (checking occasionally to get a feel for the rate of increase in pressure so you don't go too high). A lot of people here prefer the tires at 42/40 (being the recommended pressure on the sidewall of the tire), but toyota recommends 35/33 (located on frame of the car inside the passenger door), probably more for the comfort of the ride than fuel mileage or even tire wear.

4. zzyzx

zzyzx Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Aug 10 2006, 07:12 AM) [snapback]300776[/snapback]</div>

Higher number for the front tires or the rear ones?

5. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zzyzx @ Aug 10 2006, 10:23 AM) [snapback]300787[/snapback]</div>
    Front.