1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Warning Light under 1/4 tank of gas

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by TrueIrocZ, Jan 24, 2017.

1. TrueIrocZ

TrueIrocZ New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I understand this topic has been almost beat to death but I had a hard time finding specific points to this situation.

2003 Prius
    216,xxx and climbing as it is my daily

Girlfriend owned it for 4-5 years and it would occasionally give the exclamation/warning light/check engine light rarely. It was only when she was low on fuel though. I only recently learned of this.

I now drive it daily and absolutely love the thing.

Once 2 bars or under are left and I go to start it, P3191 is recorded, engine will not start. Once I refill it, engine starts up with no issue. After 2 or 3 key cycles, all lights go away and it's a normal car again.

Short term fix - Do not let fuel go under 1/4 tank. This is a good practice anyways.

Long term fix - Fuel tank/pump replacement? Looking for outside thoughts and advice.. Thanks in advance.

2. TrueIrocZ

TrueIrocZ New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No one has any good information on this?

3. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Here is what i will look with this code recorded
    If my memory still work...i have this issue one one of customer cars
    Check your fuel pump relay
    I think that Toyota part is
    90987-02012
    Throttle body look for dirt clean if need
    Air mass flow sensor clean inspect
    Spark plug condition replace if needs
    Fuel pressure to the injectors
    Battery voltage
    Inspecting fuel rail pressure will give you health of fuel pump....
    Do all this and you will fix your issue...
    Consider visual inspection of all electric connectors loose or chipped....
    TSB updates to your car and any recall that wasn't done....
    I will try as simple as i can ....

#3 Samprocat, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  4. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    All of this are related to triggering this code
    I will need more information on health of your big battery pack
    How well maintained is car
    How hard you are as a driver
    And last thing if your car is starting to use oil how much ?
    and good time would be to inspect egr and clean or replace if you need....by miles this is another to do list

#4 Samprocat, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  5. TrueIrocZ

TrueIrocZ New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update:

1/27/17– Fuel level at 2/3 to 3/4 - Serviced the transmission with a fluid change and pan cleaning after the car sat for a couple of days. I drove it roughly 30 miles and drove normal. Parked the vehicle for 10 - 15 minutes. Upon restarting it, MG1 attempted to start the engine but the engine would not fully start. After cranking the engine for 4-5 seconds, the engine began to shake and stumble as if it was attempting to start up but was lacking something, then eventually died so I shut the key off and proceeded to wait. The check engine light, exclamation point, and problem/warning light on LCD screen all displayed at this point. This same symptom happened 3-4 more times each time I attempted to restart the engine, each time shaking and stumbling. After waiting 10 minutes, I restarted the vehicle again, all warning lights were still on but the engine was running smoothly. I drove a mile or two till I got home with no troubles. Once I got home, I cycled the key 3-4 times and the warning lights eventually went away. My girlfriend reported this problem to me roughly 4 or 5 times over the past couple of years. The difference is when it happened to her, the fuel level was always low (1 bar left).

I have only owned the vehicle for the past 2k miles, but I've been around it for the past 2 years.
    I recently replaced spark plugs, air filter, oil (synthetic), transmission ATF, cleaned MAF sensor with MAF cleaner, and checked compression right when I got it around December 1st, 2016 with 214k miles. Since MG1 wouldn't allow me to roll the engine over at 200 RPM like a proper compression test would like, I was forced to do it using MG1 at full power. Compression came back well and equal across all cylinders.

No oil usage present.

I am not a very aggressive driver. Occasionally, I will pass someone on the highway and have to get after it a little bit. My normal driving habits are 50 miles each day, set the cruise at 63 and just ride along. I don't see a 1st gen Prius as a real "go getter" vehicle haha.

Health of the HV battery is something I cannot tell you. My MPG seems normal to my standards and I have had no issues with the hybrid system itself (that I am aware of).

I have maintained this vehicle lightly in the past few years but only recently have really hit it hard with service and replacement of worn parts. It has had regular oil changes over the past few years. I know that probably doesn't help a whole lot.

The throttle body has a little bit of light carbon inside of it. I can remove this and clean it if it is thought to help. I read another post that said cleaning the carbon from these doesn't really help if they are sticking. I will clean it anyhow.

I plan on doing a Fuel pressure test and battery load test when I get to my shop tomorrow morning. The issue is intermittent so I am reluctant to think I'll find any obvious problem unless the car is having its hissy fit again. My best hope is to run the vehicle low on fuel again near my shop and hope I can do tests after the problem is current. I'm not sure this will actually happen, but it's an idea.

I will look though the TSB to see if there's anything there.

In the meantime, any further bits of information would be great! Thank you!

6. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    From all so far your fuel pump or connection from pump to the body insde of plastic pump assembly is the problem.....nice and clean fuel tank would be nice at this point
    Check with pump running any hiccups and noise coming from pump with low fuel inside tank

All signs are leading to pump erratic operations and fuel pressure would be good time to inspect..also consider replacing fuel pump relay it is working hard for the life and cycling you have so far

To all people that always try to keep low on fuel for so many personall reasons....
    They are killing fuel pump life....
    Pumps that are inside of fuel tanks are not designed to withstand low fuel ...
    Problems are cavitation.....heating of pump that are designed to cool by fuel in the tank...
    So unless you have pump outside of fuel tank try to keep fuel level above 1/4 ....or close to half if you are driving on a lot of 6-7 % hills

#6 Samprocat, Jan 30, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2017