1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Warning Lights! Help!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Leslie, May 19, 2006.

1. Leslie

Leslie New Member

I've only had my 2001 Prius Classic about 3 weeks. Today that warning screen came on showing the PS, Main Battery symbol and the Car/Exclamation mark symbol. The dealer said it's okay to drive it but bring it in Monday when his Prius guy shows up. The car seems to be running fine, I don't smell anything, the oil is OK, power, A/C, etc seems to be ok. I HATE when this happens within a technology I don't understand. It reminds of the those "Fatal Error" messages I used to always get when I first got my computer. I also hate that I might be in for a battery or other repair that will wipe out any gas savings I might have for years. Any advice to give? Many thanks, Leslie in Little Rock

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Leslie @ May 19 2006, 11:50 AM) [snapback]258180[/snapback]</div>
    Did you just fill up? Was the gas cap loose? A loose gas cap is the fastest way to get warning lights. If the dealer reads the DTC (diagnostic trouble codes) and you can get the codes post them here. Several have manuals and can read the codes. If the car is running well and you are seeing the usual stuff on the MFD and get no more warnings you should be OK in the short term. There have been very very few battery failures in the Classic. Some of the Classic owners may step in and offer thoughts.

3. Leslie

Leslie New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ May 20 2006, 11:15 PM) [snapback]258745[/snapback]</div>

Yes, gas cap and doors closed, all that kind of thing I can think of were all taken care of. The lights have not come on again and it's running fine so I'm thinking of not taking it in unless it happens again. Think that's okay? Thanks for your help. Leslie

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Leslie @ May 21 2006, 04:41 AM) [snapback]258817[/snapback]</div>
    Get the codes then you will know what happened. As I remember there was some sort of TSB (technical sservice bulletin ) on the classic battery. Letters were sent out for some sort of work, I do not recall the details as I have a G2. Some people don't go in and those things done. Your car could be included and the dealer can check on that as well. Also ask them about any other TSBs that effect your car and if they can check to see if they have been done. Many times these things are nothing. Having the DTC will let your mind rest.

5. Leslie

Leslie New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ May 21 2006, 10:52 AM) [snapback]258852[/snapback]</div>

I'll do it. Thanks again for your help. Leslie

6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ May 21 2006, 08:52 AM) [snapback]258852[/snapback]</div>
    Hdrygas refers to a special service campaign SSC-40G. This indeed should have been previously performed on your 2001 Prius, and it would be appropriate to confirm that it was done. Seems unlikely that it could be connected with the current issue though.

7. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tochatihu @ May 21 2006, 05:47 PM) [snapback]258993[/snapback]</div>
    Thank You !!! I was hoping a few Classic Owners would bail me out!!!

8. HHK

HHK New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ May 21 2006, 07:21 PM) [snapback]259079[/snapback]</div>
    Our trusty old 2001 flashed it's warning lights again today, which is only the secong time in our 5+ years with this cars it's done that
    I've attached a photo to see if these are the same warnings others have seen.
    The last time it did this was last fall, on a hot day like today, after the car was re-started within an hour of being driven in 100deg+weather. We left it sit since I had an appointment to have the hybrid battery harness recall taken care of the next day, and the lights did not come back on in the morning. The dealer had no clue what the lights has been all about, and surmised that it may have been related to the possible faulty hybrid battery connections that the recall was supposed to fix with the installation of a new harness.
    Today, 10 moths later, it did it again! We drove it anyway, and there was no difference in performance.
    I let it sit for a while - ligts still came on. I checked the inverter coolant, and it seemed a little low. When I opened it (still a little hot - not the best of ideas!) it seemed to rise as if an air bubble was trapped in the system. I added a liitle more coolant, closed the lid and initialized the car - no more lights. The coolant level dropped to normal levels, again making me believe some air was trapped in the system somewhere.
    I am going to contact the dealer, but am concerned that they'll be clueless again.
    Any Ideas what these lights are all about? Alien Hybrid Gremlins??[attachmentid=3885]