1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Warning Lights, Hyper-Charged, Loads of Codes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Eleanor S., Jan 6, 2018.

1. Eleanor S.

Eleanor S. New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,

My 2004 Prius (240,000 miles) has always had issues. Notably, the console didn't work for a while. I had a new 12-volt battery put in, and the console still didn't come on.

Recently, the console did come back on, and a few weeks later, it seemed there was a battery drain I couldn't find. On weekends, if I went a day without driving my car, I'd have to jump start it. I also noticed at this time something that sounded like a transmission issue - if I was driving 50 mph, and I let my foot off the gas, the engine would rev. This happened off and on for a few days. Then my warning lights all came on (red triangle, red car with exclamation point, VSC light). I noticed the battery monitor showing the battery always charged at full capacity. Yikes!

Today I took it to get scanned. Here were the codes:
    C1241 - Low Battery Positive Voltage or Abnormally High Battery Positive Voltage
    C1242 - Open Circuit In IG2 Circuit
    P0A80 - Replace Hybrid Battery Pack
    P3016 - Battery Block 6 Becomes Weak
    P3017 - Battery Block 7 Becomes Weak

Reading all this, I just went on Craigslist and bought myself a different car to use, to give me time to figure out what to do with this Prius. The car has lots of other issues:

* Cosmetic damage - may have been in an accident before I bought it. Creepy smell sometimes too...
    * All the fancy bluetooth, telephone connect, maps etc - none of it works right.
    * Hatchback is goofy - doesn't always open
    * Key fobs are goofy - don't always work (so I never lock the car)
    * Radio barely picks up signals...
    * The console not always working...

With all this, I still like the car. But I don't know how I could get all this fixed. Not sure how to sell a car with this many problems. Either. Suggestions?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

are you a diy'er? who pulled the codes? the car has little to no value if all the codes are right.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Try to put it on craigslist for $1500. See what offers you get.

You'll need at least check the 12v battery and replace the hv battery.

#3 JC91006, Jan 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  4. Eleanor S.

Eleanor S. New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK - this is all good to know. Bisco - I took it to O'Reilly Auto Parts, and they read it for me.

Guess I'll put it up on Craigslist and see what I get. Thanks!!!

bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best!(y)