1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Warning lights on 2003 Prius, was already in shop for a week...

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by George Ruby, Nov 24, 2015.

1. George Ruby

George Ruby New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Monday before Halloween, I was on the way to the dentist, when without warning my car died in the middle of an intersection. Upon being towed to the Toyota dealer in Huntsville, AL, they stated that the hybrid battery completely discharged and they had to get special equipment to charge it.

Upon doing so, they came up with the codes and replaced the invertor on the water pump (Which seems pretty popular in the forums). Upon driving it home I had little issues and made it to Athens.

Next morning, I got up and went to start the car and the battery meter was about half way down, but charged up right away. Did this again in heavy interstate traffic a week later.

Now the last two days I started it, on Saturday, it was about 3/4 down, took it for a drive to charge it up and the battery level on the gauge fluctuated from full to part full (never turned red).

This am went out and started it and the dreaded triangle of death (one on the right) and the check engine light came on. Took it to the dealership (35 mile drive) and they stated they cannot do anything until Monday. With this knowledge, I am leaning hybrid battery and they already quoted me 2400 (part only, part plus labor and tax) and am going to find out if it includes the credit for the old battery.

I have no idea what the codes are and it has 196000 miles on it. If it is the hybrid battery and I have already put 600 into it, is it worth fixing at this point?

George

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Did they give you the failed parts? I'm interested in the failed inverter.

The car has two batteries, a 12V and the 270V traction battery. The 12V battery is charged by a DC-to-DC converter and to lose the 12V is often due to this converter failing. I am interested in the inverter to analyze what the DC-to-DC converter failure.

As for the traction battery, when it gets weak, an extended period off can lead to a weak module failing. But we really need to see what is going on and discussing options. Fortunately, we coming up on the holidays so we should be able to take a good look.

BTW, take a read of "Who should and should NOT buy a 2001-03 Prius." We'll also survey the car and figure out where it is at and how to move forward. One blessing, in about 60 days, the new 2016 will go on sale and that gives you a lot of choices:
    1. Fix it - (I can turn a wrench and occasionally have a clue but prefer to teach how.)
    2. 2010-2015 are becoming very affordable and the 2015 will have all factory fixes like your 2003
    3. 2016 - looks to be step-up but there are likely to be 'infantile' problems
    Bob Wilson

3. George Ruby

George Ruby New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Bob,

This is what Bill Penney replaced. No, I didn't keep the parts.

g9020-47022 Pump Assy, Water W/M
    00272-S66C2 Super Long Life Cool

Stated that inverter water pump shorted and it was replaced, solving the problem....

Yeah, right

Also what do you know about a business on Leeman Ferry called Huntsville Hybrids (Prius Battery Repair) and are they any good? They also a free diagnosis/estimate and will rebuild the batteries/fix failing cells.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I called them but today was not a good day to visit. During the holidays I'll try to visit and see what is going on. They apparently heard of me . . . <grins>

Bob Wilson