1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Warning lights turned on as a group and turned off.

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by elendilmir, Mar 16, 2010.

1. elendilmir

elendilmir Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    I have an 02 gen 1 with about 100,000 miles. Today my GF was driving it on the interstate when the warning lights turned on and slowly turned off one by one. Not the big exclamation point warning light on the main console, the smaller ones near the speedometer. THe car continued running smoothly, and when I started it up in the garage later, no problems. Any thoughts?

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    How old is the 12 V battery? A marginal, 12 V battery could cause a large number of problems. Another hypothesis is a loose or marginal connector.

What was the weather like when it happened?

The easiest suggestion is take to a dealer and ask them to read out the codes. Bring them here and we can look them up.

Bob WIlson

3. elendilmir

elendilmir Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    The weather was pretty nice here in Maryland: mid 50s and clear.

I think that the 12V battery may be stock. I'll check the voltage on it later today. There are 2 charging posts in the trunk. Can I check for the friendly 12.6 there?

Since you mentioned the 12V battery, I'm assuming that this doesn't sound like a main battery problem? What would the symptoms be of a main battery failure? I'm suspecting that I would see turtle bumps, but is there a main display code that would cue me in?

Thanks for the response. I hate car trouble, and this is making me nuts. The prius has spoiled me by running on gas and oil for the last 8 years.

4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Good deal.

That is an excellent place to test. If you can, check the terminals for any evidence of corrosion too. The red-cover over the B+ lifts up. The 12 VDC system powers the control computers and there is history of strange symptoms when or if it goes weak.

The main thing is a loss of power but there is a master and HV battery warning light. Check the owner's manual but the master light looks like a triangle with an explanation mark in the middle. The battery light looks like a battery with the word "MAIN" under it. Usually, turning on the ignition but not starting the car will show all warning lights.

Just a guess. <GRINS>

Bob Wilson

5. mlibanio

mlibanio Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hi there,
    Bob is absolutely right. When the 12V battery gets old, Prius behaves wacky! I had lights randomly go on and off, plus my radio would make "squeel" and "screech" sounds when I started it up in the morning. When I replaced it with the Exide Sprial Cell battery (it does not ever vent, as it has a recycling feature that recycles any gases back into the battery), and my car has been awesome ever since. I would suggest it versus the Optima as it is cheaper, longer warranty, and a significantly higher capacity in terms of Watt hours. Its been in there for 2 years, and still reading perfectly. Even in -20C temps here in Ontario, Canada, it still would show up with 11.9V of power in the morning. My Toyota Panasonic often read in the mid to low 10V territory in similar weather.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Also, are you sure the lights were really lit. What you describe can appear to happen when external lighting hits at just the right angle. As the light sweeps, the indicators appear to come on one after the other.

Tom

7. elendilmir

elendilmir Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    I checked out the main battery. The terminals are tight, and clean. The battery is reading 12.5 or so (analog voltmeter) at rest, and 14-15 (can't quite remember) when the car is idling. I took it out for a 20 mile test drive last night. No lights.

The GF tells me that the lights first came on when she canceled the cruise control. THey came up all at once and turned off one at a time, sometimes coming back on. They were not blinking at a regular rate, so it isn't likely to be the alternator.

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

With the car running, you are seeing the normal 12 DC charging voltage, ~13.95 V., and not the traction battery. But even a static test of the 12 V battery is not as good as a 'load test.'

I believe many of the auto stores like Autozone and tire places will do a battery 'load test' for free. Of course they want you to buy a replacement battery from them but ...

We also learned that Sears now carries a Prius compatible, 12 VDC battery. I don't know the price but I suspect it is competitive.

It sounds so much like something 'reset' and recovered but I'd never seen anything like this described before. Just that we know a weak, 12 VDC supply can lead to many 'unusual' symptoms. Sad to say, reading the charging voltage of a running Prius is not the best approach for testing the battery.

BTW, if the 12 VDC battery is taken out, it will wipe out any stored codes. The easiest source for reading the codes would be a Toyota service center ... who can also test the 12 VDC battery at the same time. ... Again, they would like to sell you their battery.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

9. elendilmir

elendilmir Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    I just took the car out. It's very sunny today, and I have noticed that if the car is positioned JUST RIGHT, I can see red warning lights, which vanish one or two at a time when I turn. This might have some domestic fallout, but I'm going to show this to the GF later and see if this is what she saw.

Still thinking about having the dealer read the codes though. How much do they typically charge for that kind of thing?

10. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Typically, you'll be charged for one hour of labor time, maybe $100 or so.

Assuming that your battery is 8 years old, a better use of the $100 would be to apply those funds towards buying a new battery. If you don't have any warning lights on, it's questionable that any DTC will be logged.

1 person likes this.
  11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Or you could try my approach:

"Honey, I read how to fix it in Prius Chat. Come on out, I need your help." ... grab a rubber mallet.

Open up the car in front of the girl friend and shout,

"In the name of Jesus, Demon be GONE!" and whack the air inlet cover with the mallet.

"Ok Baby. I won't happen again. The guys at Prius Chat assured me this is what Oral Roberts Toyota Service Center in Tulsa Oklahoma do."

Bob Wilson

12. jk450

jk450 New Member

This statement is misleading. "Normal" charging voltage has a range, which is dependent on temperature as well as the 12V battery's state of charge. 13.95V is within that range.

Another statement, also posted today, reads

Also not necessarily true.

The Prius 12V batteries are not SLA batteries and do not have cold cranking amps ratings. Without that rating, a load test is meaningless.

See above.

True, but the event occurred while the vehicle was on the interstate. The vehicle's DC-DC converter—not the 12V battery—would be supplying the vehicle with auxiliary power at that time.

Actually, it's not a test of the battery at all. "Charging voltage" refers to the output of the device that is charging the battery, not the battery itself.

That is not always true.

It's a well-designed unit. Install it and forget about it.

Good luck, indeed.

13. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Just a point of correction: Prius do not have alternators.

Tom

14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Certainly an interesting symptom. I don't remember seeing it reported before. One thing about intermittent problems, they tend to come back.

Bob Wilson

15. elendilmir

elendilmir Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Not even on the gas side? See? I'm learning already.

It's in at the shop as we speak. I'll update later today.

1 person likes this.
  16. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Prius have two motor-generators (MGs). They are used as motors and generators. In that respect you could consider them as two BIG alternators, but they aren't alternators in the normal sense, hanging on the engine and being driven by a belt.

Tom

17. elendilmir

elendilmir Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    well, the results are in. The correct answer was the #2 ignition coil shorting out. It was replaced along with the spark plugs. We'll see if this was the problem, but as for now I haven't seen any idiot lights yet. Here's to hoping.

Thanks for your help and moral support.

1 person likes this.