1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Warning Prius Owners of 2010-14.....Get this recall to save your life!!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by sherbrankitty, Nov 6, 2015.

1. sherbrankitty

sherbrankitty New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a 2010 Prius and was not aware of this recall back in March 2014...i was not notified!! until now, and it could have taken my life and you need to be aware of it too! I was luckily going only 30 mph when i lost all power, all of the interior warning lights came on, and at first i could only go 12 mph until it would not go any further and I almost got rear ended. At first the mechanic wanted $3000+ for the inverter converter, but soon found out that it had been recalled and i would owe $0. So my advice would be.....IF YOU HAVE NOT TAKEN CARE OF THIS RECALL, DO IT TODAY! If you are going 70+ mph and a semi is behind you and this happens and you can't get over, it will take your life!

Once this Prius is paid off, I will not go back to a hybrid car again!!!!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Description
    Toyota is recalling certain model year 2010 through 2014 prius vehicles. In the affected vehicles, the intelligent power module (ipm) inside the inverter module (a component of the hybrid system) contains transistors that may become damaged from high operating temperatures. If this occurs, various warning lamps will be illuminated on the instrument panel and the vehicle will have reduced power allowing it to only drive a short distance. The vehicle may enter a fail-safe/limp-home mode that limits the drivability of the vehicle. The hybrid system could also shut down completely resulting in a vehicle stall, increasing the risk of a crash.
    Remedy
    Toyota will notify owners and dealers will update the software for both the motor/generator control electronic control unit (ecu) and the hybrid control ecu, free of charge. If an owner experiences a failure of the inverter before the vehicle receives updated software, the dealer will replace the inverter assembly with a new one at no charge. The recall began on march 21, 2014. Owners may contact Toyota at 1-800-331-4331.

2. rifis

rifis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Invaluable for owners who have not yet had the recall update performed.
    What financial logistics are required to allow a vehicle not yet 'paid off' to be sold - now (thus allowing an exit from the hybrid auto world)?

m.wynn likes this.
  3. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Well you should had be part of this community much, much earlier that just showing up only to complaint................

mertechperformance likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can you say class action lawsuit?:cool:

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thank you for the sensational post. Perhaps you will feel safer in one of GM's fine products. (How many people died because of their crap ignition switches?) Perhaps you will feel safer in one of the many automobiles running around with airbags that may spray shapnel into your neck. Perhaps you would prefer a vehicle whose window switches can short and cause a fire. When you find a manufacturer or a product line with fewer recalls than a Prius please let me know. (This challenge is for the OP. Please don't call out the obvious answer.)

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I received my recall notice on schedule, well after it was posted and discussed here. I wonder why you didn't get your's. Did you change address?

Beware of non-hybrid vehicles too. They have tires, which can suddenly blow out with potentially catastrophic results. This happened to my spouse on Highway 2. She survived unscathed.

Many non-hybrids also have timing belts, which can suddenly break and cause instant and total power loss, so the car won't even go 12 mph for a short time. This happened to me in a 1984 Ford at highway speed in the center lane of I-5. I survived unscathed. The manufacturer's maintenance schedule did not call for this part to be replaced on any sort of schedule.

I intend to never go back to pre-hybrids again. Though not for any of the above reasons.

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This was pretty big news and Toyota was pretty aggressive about getting the news out and notifying owners.
    How was it you weren't notified?

If you had so much as an oil change at a Toyota Dealership you should of been alerted.
    Did you buy the vehicle used and NEVER take it to a Toyota Dealership?

Even in this day and age, it's probably wise to occasional do a search for recalls for whatever vehicle you own.
    If you just check out Toyota's owners website you can look up specific recalls.

It's too bad that somehow the OP fell through the notification cracks.
    But I think the experience much, much more the exception than the rule.

8. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    And of course the GenIII Prius is the only car on the road that has ever stalled, overheated, had an engine die, rod blow, and all the other things that can make a car lose speed quickly to almost nothing.

scona and mertechperformance like this.
  9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How's that possible? Recall letters are sent to all owners. Mine has been completed and there's a sticker under the hood to certify it's been done.

The possible scenarios that I can think of are:

1. You forgot to update Toyota with your new address if you've moved since you bought the car
    2. You're not the original owner and you didn't bother to register with Toyota or sign up as a Toyota owner at toyota.com
    3. You never take your Prius to a Toyota dealership
    4. You DO take your Prius to a Toyota dealership and they never bothered to update the owner's address
    5. You bought your Prius 2nd hand and didn't check your VIN against the recall list.

Also, it's November 2015, how have you not paid off your 2010 MY car yet?!?

10. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    [​IMG] Yeah, warning!

11. sherbrankitty

sherbrankitty New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am only trying to warn others of what can happen if they don't get the recall done. I think posting complaints are important!

jHUYNH9 likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's how i go through life, posting complaints.:cool:

Merged Mr. Bisco. Please, again, stop posting back to back. Just edit your last post or multi quote if quoting different people.

in ma, when we move, recall notice's follow our change of address through the department of motor vehicles.

#12 bisco, Nov 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2015
  13. sherbrankitty

sherbrankitty New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    All cars suck these days!.... I like Toyota, just no more Hybrids for me.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can't say that i blame you, just another hurdle for alt fuel vehicles.

sherbrankitty likes this.
  15. sherbrankitty

sherbrankitty New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had received a recall in the past, so I don't know why I didn't get this recall notice, so it can happen to anyone. I have not changed my address either. I don't take my car to the local Toyota dealership for oil changes, I take them to my local mechanic, would rather give him the $$. Guess I should start taking it to Toyota so they can check each time.

I have the same address and have not moved, also received a recall in the past for this car. I bought this car used so that is why it is not paid off, not all of us can afford to buy new vehicles!

I'm trying to warn others and if you see that as complaining????....so stop complaining about my complaint!!!

jHUYNH9 likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry, it's just that we all know about the problems of prius by spending time here, and take it for granted that everyone knows. otoh, we see enough of your brand of hyperbole that makes us scoff. no offense intended.

scona and mertechperformance like this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Where exactly is that sticker? Does it look "Toyota", or just dealership? Can you post a pic?

I want my sticker! :ROFLMAO:

MERGED

There's been several mentions that you might not get notices if you don't take your car to a Toyota dealership for mundane services. I don't think that's true, the notice I got came straight from Toyota. The main thing is to make sure Toyota knows YOU own this car, it's VIN, and your current mailing address.

18. Southbound

Southbound Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's a shame the 2010 Prius popped your bubble - you were on such a roll too...

19. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OR just register and log in with the Toyota Owners website. There's an option there to check for recalls.

Listen, I don't want to be too hard on you. I think when someone comes close to an accident or has an accident in a vehicle it can definitely erode a persons confidence in that vehicle.
    If I was riding around in my Prius and the engine suddenly died and left me powerless, I'd be upset and I'd wouldn't be happy.

But I would say in this case? Toyota did do the right thing. They launched a recall that evidently DOES fix this problem. Not a lot of reports of this happening-because the recall happened.

And as others have pointed out? Operational failures of a vehicle can happen to any of them. It's NOT Prius exclusive.

So if you've enjoyed the vehicle thus far? I'd be happy that nothing too bad really did happen, and that the problem is being fixed at no cost to you. And maybe give The Prius and "Hybrids" another chance? This was a very specific (and very serious) Problem that Toyota did identify and remedy through recall.

If this "scare" has soured you on Prius and Hybrids permanently? That's a personal decision, and OK too....
    Everyone has the freedom to move on from a vehicle for whatever reason. From a lack of trust due to a recall addressed problem- to they just don't like the way in looks in the driveway.

When I first heard about the recall, as a Prius Owner I wasn't happy. Nobody likes it when their vehicle is identified as having a problem, even if the manufacturer offers a remedy. BUT I had the recall done, and I drive it with relative confidence that the situation you experienced will NOT happen to me.

I would offer that once fixed, the chances of a similar failure happening again would be very, very slim. With the caveat that ALL vehicles are machines built by humans and being used in the real world, which leaves them vulnerable to accidents and failures.

I don't think you HAVE to take your car to the dealership to get notices.
    But at least at mine, they enter the VIN into their system every time they do anything, and that tells THEM if there are any outstanding recalls the vehicle might need.

My notice was mailed directly to me.
    Of course I knew several months in advance that I would need the recall due to my obsessive participation in Prius Chat.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and it paid off, you could have been sherbrankitty.