1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Warning Re: Waiting Lists

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cali30us, Jul 19, 2004.

1. cali30us

cali30us New Member

In Feb. 2004, I put myself on a waiting list at Toyota of Long
    Beach in Long Beach, CA. I received a couple updates from time to
    time, assuring me that I'm getting farther up the list.
    When I got home from work this evening, I had a message on my
    answering machine from 10am, saying that my Prius would be there any
    minute, and that if I got down there right away, I might have a
    chance to get it.
    The new General Manager, Gary Twombley, suddenly decided to make
    the Toyota Prius first come, first served. As soon as one comes in,
    they call EVERYONE, and to hell with how long you have been
    waiting. I live 2 hours away from the dealership and have a full
    time job. I'm screwed, and will have to buy another car somewhere
    else.
    Be forwarned, because this could happen to you. Dealers can change
    the terms whenever they please. I have talked to dealers that take
    deposits any where from 0 to $1000; some that deposit the money, and
    others that hold the check; some that maintain one list, others
    where each agent maintains his own list, and I know people who were
    told that they are on the list, only to find out months later that
    they couldn't be found on the list.
    I called Toyota, and they said that the dealers are independent
    and can do basically as they please.
    Good luck to all of you. You'll probably need it.

2. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ya that sucks dude.
    Maybe you can go somewhere else.

Alpha

3. Batavier

Batavier Member

Darn, that's one sad general manager. I'm feel sorry for you. :(

4. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, & Drapanos, Crete, G
    Find out what day they get their delivery and be there before they open to stake your claim. Take a week off work and take a hotel over the road from the dealer if need be. Use this development to your advantage. :twisted: Then when you have the keys, tell them what a load o "£$%^&* they are and how you would never recommend them or put business there way again.

5. cali30us

cali30us New Member

Sorry, not going to take week off work, etc.
    In February, when I asked how much the deposit was, the salesman said that they don't take deposits. Oh well, I've now learned without putting money on the line, you have very little chance of getting what you want.
    A couple more examples of greedy dealers: When I was calling dealers in Feb., a salesman in Los Angeles told me that he could put me on their list, but that he could get me the car faster if I paid a few thousand dollar premium. Another in LA said that all their cars must be fitted with Lojack, and that was $1000 extra. And today I received a call from John at Toyota of North Hollywood, saying that he had the package and color I wanted, and at a "special deal". That special deal was $3000 over MSRP.
    Others are saying that it's difficult to get a straight package; that the cars are being outfitted when they arrive at port with floor mats, decals, etc. Not knowing the car business, it's hard to know what's real or not. Oh well.

6. Ken Cooper

Ken Cooper New Member

Before getting too upset. Obtain clarity. My dealer calls everyone on the list when Prii come in regardless of what colors or options had been selected. But he calls them in order (earliest orders get called first). This may be exactly what your dealer is doing. I got my red option 7 Prius because the 9 people in front of me didn't want that particular car (imagine how much longer I might have had to wait had he not had that policy - I had ordered a Tidelands #9).

This just might be good news. Check it out.

If this is not the case, then the new general manager has set it up for quick Prius purchase by friends, favored customers, or anyone who's willing to pay a premium beyond what you were quoted.

If that's the case, there's always BBB, letters to the editor, state regulating agencies, Toyota of America, a picket sign, and lots of other avenues you can take. If slime is occuring here, don't just take it; do something. Don't let it eat at you, and it will, without knowing you've done all you can (and maybe gotten revenge). Your posting here is a good first step.

7. bparrish

bparrish Junior Member

California DMV Regulations

Since you're in California, you might want to check the DMV code relating to dealers. They have some very specific rules about dealers, pricing, quotes, bait-and-switch, etc. See

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d05/vc11614.htm
    and
    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d05/vc11713_1.htm

and see if you think a dealer violated any of the provisions (i.e. quoted a price and then tried to sell for more, or refused to sell at that price, or whatever). If you think they did, you can contact one of the local DMV enforcement offices - if you call one of them they can tell you which office handles the particular dealership. (These are DIFFERENT from the DMV offices where you go to get your licence/registration, etc. ) It sounds like you're in the LA area - there's something like seven offices down there.

On the phone, they told me as much as an email with a quoted price probably constitutes "advertising", so if you've got one of those, they would most likely be interested.

It may be that much of this 'waiting list game' is so vague as to be unenforceable, but it's not too hard to submit a complaint if you THINK they've violated any of the regs. Give 'em a read and see what you think. The dealer may be able to BS individuals (those of us who don't 'know the business'), but I would expect that would be more difficult with the DMV asking the 'right' questions.

For a list of the local enforcement offices, see
    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/fo/fotocinv.htm#investigations

There's a PDF of a complaint form on their website. See http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/inv/inv172a.htm