1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Warranty Enhancement ZE3

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by TennesseePrius, Sep 18, 2018.

1. TennesseePrius

TennesseePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello fellow Prius owners. New site member, first post.

I wanted to make this new thread to help future Prius owners, esp in the 2010-2014 years.
    Because of these forums, I have saved anywhere from $2500-$3000, or more these past few days, because of info posted by you nice people, to help other people with DC/DC Converter, IPM (Intelligent Powertrain Module).

To start, I bought a 2011 Prius about 3 months ago(June-2018), from a used car dealer from a local business with a good reputation. It had 130k miles, and was in great condition. It was bought for my oldest son to go to college, which is about 2 hours away, so he could drive back in forth to home every so often(once a month or longer), and the gas mileage was a concern. Also this was a step up from his '90 model Chevy pickup.

It started with my son returning home from college. He steps in the house and says "Dad, you want to try and fix something?". Instantly I said, "I hope it isn't for that Prius." Mainly because I know nothing of how to fix those kinds of cars. He went on to tell me about how driving home, at one point, it felt like someone had pressed the brake, slowing him down pretty fast. As he pulled over to see what just happened to the car, he noticed the "CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM", and a few other warnings showing up in the dash lights.
    He pulled over, turned the car off, let it sit for a moment. Started it back up and noticed the car would not go into power mode. Also the EV, ECO, POWER buttons didn't work anymore. Overall the car felt sluggish.
    Basically at this point it went into, what I've heard it called "Limp mode". He was able to drive it another 35 miles home.
    After a few mins of looking over the car, I went to the only place I knew that could do a diagnoses, NAPA.
    I drove the car about 8 miles away, let them check it with that plug in thing, and it showed a 5 digit code of: P0A94.
    At first, the NAPA guy was like, "maybe this is a part number". He looked it up on their computer, and he was like, this is something else, like an error. It was many paragraphs of info about the P0A94 error, and I knew this was prob a bigger deal than I wanted it to be. I began to look online after I drove back home about the error and came across this website.
    I can't tell you how helpful this site was. It lead me to whats called the Warranty Enhancement ZE3. And man oh man, did the helpful info come flowing in. And thank God my Prius, that I just bought 3 months before this happened, had the 2014 recall done.
    Basically, for future reference, for people that have an IPM go out. For your car to qualify, a few things have to have been done. Also, if you have had the repair done BEFORE the 2014 recall, you can be refunded your money, as long as you can prove your service work, receipts/etc, by calling Toyota 800-331-4331.
    For everybody else.
    1. Make sure your Prius is a 2010-2014 year model.
    2. Check to make sure your Prius had the 2014 recall done.
    Recall Number
    14V053000 If yes then:
    3. Make sure you have one of 5 errors;
    P0A94
    P324E
    P3004
    POA1A
    If you have 1-2 done, your IPM has a 15yr extended warranty from original date of purchase, known as the Warranty Enhancement ZE3. So like for me, I bought a 2011 in 2018. I still have 8 years left on that converter, after they fix it this time.
    If you have received one of those 5 errors, you have just saved 3-5 grand from Toyota.
    The work will have to be done by a Toyota dealer. And, I was able to get a free rental, at no cost, so as long as I had full coverage on the 2011, which we did, and a valid drivers license.

All in all, this was terrible in the beginning. We just don't have the money really. And after following links from users on this website, it lead to a wonderful ending. I just wanted to thank all ya'll. A huge thanks from a family in Tennessee.

Any questions or whatever I will try to answer as best I can do from what experience I have had so far.

bisco and Pluggo like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome and thank you!

glad you got it sorted, all the best(y)