1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Warranty extension plan -- Home Depot/Lowes -- any experiences?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stevewoods, May 28, 2017.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just wore out my second Husky weed wacker. Both the same model, both around $150 and both lasted three years. That's one year past the Husky warranty.

Hate to consider this disposable, but I took the last one in -- three years ago -- and was told it was not worth repairing.

So, both Home Depot and Lowes offer a replacement plan for an extra two years after the maker's warranty runs out. Husky warranty is two years. I am thinking I have experience that the Husky will die in year three.

I just want to know if the Lowes/HD plans are truly as hassle free as they claim (they are both about $20 for the extra two years).

Anyway. I am hard on them. I have lots of use for it around my wife's picky flower beds, as well as our fence lines (we live on a five acre plot). I also am responsible for my father-in-law's place, which is more of a conventional city lot, but a larger one.

Never bought an extended warranty before, but in this case....And, yeah, I know Home Depot does not sell Husky, but they have a Ryobi I am considering...

Any real world experience?

2. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Your the exception that proves the rule, if you use them enough go ahead and get the warranty, no idea if they make you fight but a word, make sure you keep the thing clean and pretty, I had a crappy greenworks electric lawn mower turd, got almost a year out of it then it developed intermittent issues and stuck in gear, charger went.
    I had warranty but they wouldn't honor due to abuse (a little grass and dust is abuse) couldn't even buy the parts because they already didn't carry them

3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you still have that Greenworks mower there is a circuit board recall. It may not help your issue though. We have had ours for a couple of years but it is supplemental to the riding mower now.

4. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If there are ANY exclusions, the extended "warranty" is useless. It's only what is on the written document that is enforceable, not what the checker tells you. I looked up the Husky warranty, and it requires you to buy, on the same receipt, up to 96 oz. of 2-cycle oil of their brand AND register online. And it extends the normal warranty only (it is not a "replacement" warranty, at all -- it only covers manufacturer's DEFECTS in materials and workmanship, not wear and tear. And you have to ship it to a third-party repair shop, at your expense (naturally).

RCO likes this.
  5. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it sounds too good to be true, chances are it isn't true! :(

6. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's the actual Husqvarna extended warranty, which is sold/marketed by Husqvarna. I would actually have no trouble buying their two-cycle oil, since that is what I use anyway....it's the whole send it away thing where it always turns into a hassle because the repair shops are not motivated to do these repairs since in my experience the maker only pays them a pittance for the work.

I am looking at the replacement/extended warranty sold by Home Depot and Lowes that are totally separate from the Husky warranty, both of them kick in after the standard Husky warranty ends. Neither require the purchase of anything, other than the $20 for the warranty. Home Depot says they just give you a gift card for the amount you paid for the original trimmer. Lowes says they give you a new trimmer.

Like the gift card idea slightly more. But, again more interested if anyone had ever used either. I somewhat suspect they do what they say. I have always had good experiences returning defective items to HD and Lowes.

7. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For the extended Husqvarna warranty on my chain saw I had to buy 96 oz of their 2 cycle premixed fuel, not the oil. Perhaps they changed it since last year.

RCO likes this.
  8. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Again, that is the Husky warranty, which I have no intention of purchasing.

The home store warranties appear much better.

9. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The only remaining 2-cycle appliance I have is an Echo line trimmer that I can't seem to kill, despite the fact that I have a five acre yard and a .33 acre yard to maintain.

When the Echo finally gives up the ghost, I'm going to be either 4-cycle or electric.

So.....
    All of the financial advisors say that the "coverage" or "additional warranty" is almost never worth buying....but you may be one of the "almost" that they're talking about.
    Judging from your OP, you seem to be wearing out stuff just about when the additional warranties would expire - so I'm going to vote the party ticket and say that the extended warranty (or coverage) isn't worth it......EVEN if all of the mice-type in the "agreement" is honored.

Weed whackers, cars, houses, EVERYTHING is disposable.
    The operative phrase is 'life cycle.'
    If I pay $150 for an Echo line trimmer and it lasts 5-10 years (mine is on its sixth season) then it's worth it for me to not worry about the warranty.

YMMV

10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm still waiting for a 15 plus year old Craftsman mover with B&S engine to die. Thought I'd have a new electric when the metal mounting for a rear wheel snapped from metal fatigue, but the wife took it to a metal shop and got it welded for $5.