1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Warranty Issues...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by crazidude1400, Jun 15, 2008.

1. crazidude1400

crazidude1400 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hi--

Simply put, I believe the car has been totaled, unfortunately. Does this void any warranties on the car? If not, is there any way to have the car "Toyota Certified" so that I can have some form of warranty?

Thanks in advance.

2. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Are you buying this car or do you own this car? I do not think that a totaled vehicle qualifies for the "Toyota Certified" warranty. If you own the car and bought some type of warranty for the car, some of those are eligible for partial refund.

3. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Whether you owned the car and totaled it or are thinking of buying it as a "total", Toyota will not cover any warranties.....because in their eyes the car is unusable, totaled, not meant for driving.

ZC1

4. crazidude1400

crazidude1400 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I forgot to mention the car was fixed with brand new Toyota genuine parts--so it is driveable, and in like-new conditon. Does that change anything?

5. Jiipa

Jiipa MGySgt USMC (Ret)

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    No, the only warranty you can get is from the guy who rebuilt it, and that's only as good or bad as his work.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your first sentence implies you are unsure whether the car has been designated "salvage" or not. Most states will mark the vehicle title as "salvage" if the car was totaled.

In the event that the vehicle has been totaled, Toyota will not honor any remaining warranties.

If you don't own this vehicle - since you are concerned about manufacturer's warranty coverage, I recommend that you do not purchase any salvage vehicle.

If you do own this vehicle, presumably you purchased at a sufficient discount to compensate you for the cost of future repairs as well as the reduced market value associated with a salvage title.