1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Warranty items after first year of ownership

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by vince31, Sep 23, 2007.

1. vince31

vince31 New Member

OK, here are the warranty fixes required after the first year of ownership for my UK T Spirit with leather seats and Park assist options.

1. Heated mirrors do not work (never have). Yes, I do know where the button is!

2. CD player (6 pack JBL) has a problem with WMA format tracks, same track recorded in MP3 is fine. Fault manifests itself as a loud screech or click lasting approx quater to half a second during playback. dosent happen on every track but when it does its alwas a WMA track and always the same place on the same track.

3. Front wheels seem to have corrosion on them, just the beginning of it, on the exposed spokes right on the sharp edge.

4. Other than this, the MFD did once completely go black on me and none of the functions worked either (those on the steering wheel, manual buttons or audio commands). Basic car driving functions like steering brakes lights and wipers were unaffected and continued to operate normally. Stopping the car and re-powering the system sorted it out, but it has happened to me once and now I'm just waiting for it to happen a second time!

On the plus side I'm still very happy with the car. Lifetime MPG for 20,000 miles is 57 mpg overall (this is UK gallons) mostly driving up and down the motorway at 80 and town work.

2. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Vince,

There is a button for the rear view mirrors defrosting function? I thought the only way to turn them on is to turn on the windshield defrosting. Then they melt the snow away just fine. But, they really do not work as defoggers at all.

3. vince31

vince31 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(donee @ Sep 23 2007, 10:18 PM) [snapback]516617[/snapback]</div>
    You got me going there! never tried the windshield (i.e. front) defogging switch. No, according to my car manual the mirror heater panels come on with the REAR window defrost button (even shows a pic of the rear defrost button), they certainly do not come on on my car. Also there is a warning in the manual " Caution! The mirror surface can get hot, do not touch them when the defogger switch is on".

4. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So, how much of this has been brought to the attention of the dealer?

And what was the response?

6. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vince31 @ Sep 23 2007, 06:41 PM) [snapback]516627[/snapback]</div>
    Hmm,

Maybe I remembered it wrong!? Its been a 6 months since I have had a need to defrost the rear view mirrors. I usually turn both on at the same time when I start out on a winter morning. Snow collected in the rear view windows melts right away. Never touched the mirrors. Have never noticed any good defogging effect however.

I thought I read somewhere that the UK cars were not coming with the defrosting mirrors. Now that I notice you are in the UK. In the US, the new extra low option level has the defrosting rear view mirrors replaced with unheated mirrors. Possibly, that was implemented a year sooner there ?

In the US, we have instructions in our manual about the Daytime Running Light mode of the lights. But, we do not have that option here in the US. In Canada, its mandated by law, and all the Candadian cars have it. Thus the inclusion in the North American Manual.

7. vince31

vince31 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vince31 @ Sep 23 2007, 09:55 PM) [snapback]516613[/snapback]</div>
    Here is an update on these warranty issues post dealer servicing:

Heated Mirrors - Dealer still not sure if they should be operational or not on UK model, switch is there, fuse is there, heater rear window works fine, but no mirror heating. No one at Toyota technical seems to know! some of them say yes and others say no! Still waiting for difinitive answer so I will check up in a couple of weeks.

CD player not playing WMA tracks correctly - I made a demo CD for the garage to show the fault, WMA track shows fault (see description above), MP3 of same track plays OK. Dealer tried my demo CD in a range of other Prius cars and they all showed the same WMA fault, they think its because of the cheap low quality CD I used to burn the tracks on to. I will re-check this with a better quality blank CD and let you know.

Front Wheel corrosion - This was confirmed by the dealer (car less than 12 months old) and all wheels (4 off) were replaced no questions asked. Anyone else had problems with wheel corrosion?

MFD - No Fault Found

So, I got a new set of wheels, no answer on the heated mirrors and still to check out the cheap CD theory.

Vince 31

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't believe that the UK Prius comes with heated mirrors. As for WMA files, if the CD reader can read MP3 files from your cheap CD, then it can also read WMA files. Bits are bits. I'm betting on the ripper that you used to create the WMA files. Try a different program.

Tom

9. vince31

vince31 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Oct 1 2007, 07:48 PM) [snapback]519909[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the advice on the WMA ripper, its probably that Windows Media Player 11 Ive got installed! I will try something else, on the other hand I think I'll just stick with good old MP3.

Dealer phoned me today to confirm that, according to Toyota Technical "No UK RH drive Prius has got heated mirrors" anyone know different?

Vince 31